Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I suggest you find one that shorts the European financial sector, Z.

:lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2011, 02:39:47 PM
An actively managed index fund is a bit of an oxymoron, no?
The funds I think of contain stocks from a particular index, but not necessarily in the same quantities as the market capitalization would suggest.

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 04, 2011, 10:21:51 PM
I suggest you find one that shorts the European financial sector, Z.

:lol:
Hehe. I want to put some money into the stock market after this has blown over. I don't think the situation is hopeless and the markets will go up again eventually.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2011, 03:53:00 AM
The funds I think of contain stocks from a particular index, but not necessarily in the same quantities as the market capitalization would suggest.

Not sure I see the point.  One of the main selling points of an index fund is that the management ratios is very low compared to an actively managed fund.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2011, 03:56:18 AM
Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2011, 03:53:00 AM

Not sure I see the point.  One of the main selling points of an index fund is that the management ratios is very low compared to an actively managed fund.
The point is that I wondered if potentially higher gains from active management sets of the lower cost of an ETF.

Martinus

I'm glad I didn't buy stocks when I was asking for the advice on Languish a couple of months ago. :P

Richard Hakluyt

Might be a good time to buy now, or maybe another 10% fall is in the offing  :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Yesterday, I bought calls on Kraft and that's up 261% today.  :D

The Euro bailout will bring a temporary bottom here I think, but I'm not putting a ton into it until it's more proven.

Caliga

Today one of my stop losses triggered and I dumped my position in MAIN.  Held it since November and earned a small net gain, plus some decent dividends (paid monthly).  I turned right around put most of the proceeds into a new positon in ETR.  So let's all keep our fingers crossed that there are no nuclear disasters in the US anytime soon. :)

On another note, my Garmin position, which is usually a source of disappointment, skyrocketed today. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2011, 07:29:17 PM
On another note, my Garmin position, which is usually a source of disappointment, skyrocketed today. :hmm:
Maybe lots of people need direction to Canada just about now.  :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Pretty much nobody knows what to do now. I have some trades placed for Monday morning that liquidate my standing stock holdings and get puts on Intel, GE and Microsoft. I'm tired of riding the decline with no profits. Yesterday, I made a small packet shorting Bank of America. I have some long calls on other things that I've been placing as we fall. If the market drops on those, I lose maybe five hundred bucks. If the market goes up a couple hundred points, they will make me fifty grand. I'll take the risk.

If new news hits tomorrow about Germany's willingness to back Italy, I'll cancel my short trades.

Ed Anger

Once again, I got the fuck out with my short term stock account when it was about to go into the shitter for a bit.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

ECB's about to buy a shit ton of Italian and Spanish bonds. Makes another QE here more likely. Geithner is staying at Treasury--I'm not sure if that's bullish or bearish though. :p

I put a stop loss on my gold. The Israeli and Saudi markets opened very badly over the weekend.