Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I'm putting 100% of my 401 money into an international equity mutual fund.  Soon I will be the owner of: Luis Vitton.

Will also start buying Pearson (UK) ADRs through the employee stock purchase plan come July.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2011, 07:15:43 PM
Anyone ever owned shares in a company that was taken over?
Yes, it's happened to me twice that I can recall.

I owned Wrigley stock when it was purchased in 2008 by Mars or Nestle or somebody.  The result was a forced buyout for me but at I think a $28/shr premium, so I didn't exactly mind very much. :cool:  It was weird because I had no idea the merger was planned, and one day I logged into my account to find a huge cash transaction had taken place... I then noticed that my Wrigley stock seemed to have disappeared altogether, and quickly put two and two together.

I also used to own stock in a company called Health Express USA, back when I was trying to focus on investing in the restaurant industry; this was a startup company trying to get a vegetarian fast food chain going down in Miami.  Well, it didn't work out and another company called Natural Nutrition bought them, and my stock was exchanged and then almost immediately there was a significant reverse split.  Then like a year later, that stock turned into something called 'CSI Business Finance' and I somehow ended up with a large number of nearly worthless shares.  About a year after that, the stock turned into AppTech, Inc., which is a 'company' that makes smartphone apps for the Latin American market. :wacko:

Anyway, I now own one and a half million shares of AppTech so I really hope Brazilians start buying that Daily Jesus Devotional app up like hotcakes.  If the stock price ever hits a buck, y'all can contact me in the Caymans. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

:lol: I view this 'investment' as a writeoff but you never know, someday it could hit a buck.  I could also win the Powerball. :showoff:

Admiral Yi

:lol:  How many shares outstanding in this regional dynamo, do you know?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2011, 09:25:19 PM
:lol:  How many shares outstanding in this regional dynamo, do you know?

4.2 BILLION.   :lol:

Though it would be funny if Cal found out he had a controlling stake. APCX appears to be the symbol.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2011, 07:15:43 PM
Fantastique.  ADRs or Paris Bourse shares?

Anyone ever owned shares in a company that was taken over?

Two in the past year; International Power and Northern Foods. The holding in Northern Foods got me an 85% gain in a single year, the one in International Power (a reverse takeover by GDF Suez) netted a gratifying 35% or so. Northern Foods is going private once the takeover is complete, I still retain a holding in International Power but only half of the original stake.

Caliga

Admiral Yi

Did you takeover target guys ever get a chance to vote on the takeover?

Richard Hakluyt

Not me, my shares are bought and held in a nominee account, so I don't really own them  :hmm:

Which is a bit of a shame with the Marston's (a brewer and pub operator) shares; as they give discounts to shareholders which I would probably benefit from.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2011, 03:22:09 PM
Did you takeover target guys ever get a chance to vote on the takeover?
That's a negative, chief.

Ed Anger

I think this is the first and last time I'm going to short something. Wow.

Caliga

Ed Anger

I normally don't either. But with Japan gone to hell, I figured gold would drop with a predicted short term drop in demand for the metals and commodities.

So far, so good.

I'll likely move into Caterpillar and other construction type firms.

Disclaimer: This post does not constitute financial advice