Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2010, 06:19:49 PM

Ed:  :lol:  Cramer thinks we're all gonna die if health care passes.

:lol:

I love Cramer. Only in small doses, and I never buy or sell because he says so. He's alright pointing out stocks to look at though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 17, 2010, 01:01:16 PM
P/E of 109, no dividends (not unusual for a tech company) and it's at its 52-wk high. However, everything you said about it is absolutely right. It has been up as high as $70 before, just not in the last year. I think the high P/E is due to the fact that their earnings dropped through the floor in the downturn. Hardly surprising with the crunch. Even the analysts who recommend sell are projecting the earnings to go back up. One thing I think is a mistake that analysts make about VMWare is that they look at it with too narrow a focus. They call it a software company. But it's a bit more than that.

IMO, the main vulnerability is exposure to M$FT's Hyper-V (which I have no personal experience with--all my stuff is running on VMWare ESX). If Hyper-V sucks, no problem. If Hyper-V is more expensive to license (likely), then VMW remains the gold standard. If M$FT does something to their server platform that introduces incompatibilities with ESX and other VMW platforms, that will be bad, but it can't happen for a few years at least. 2k8R2 and W7 work great on VMWare. I've also noticed the changes to the licensing structure for ESX 4 from 3.5 are likely to raise the revenue VMW can expect to bring in, not just from new datacenters and metal-to-virtual conversions, but also existing customers upgrading existing platforms.

So, basically I agree with you.

You're discounting the threat of Xen, KVM, and VirtualBox.  The latter especially, as Oracle could do some interesting things with that.

citizen k

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2010, 06:19:49 PM
Ed:  :lol:  Cramer thinks we're all gonna die if health care passes.

No, he just said you might want some dividend stocks to offset the hit the market will take when healthcare passes.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 19, 2010, 07:49:07 PM
P/E of 109, no dividends (not unusual for a tech company) and it's at its 52-wk high. However, everything you said about it is absolutely right. It has been up as high as $70 before, just not in the last year. I think the high P/E is due to the fact that their earnings dropped through the floor in the downturn. Hardly surprising with the crunch. Even the analysts who recommend sell are projecting the earnings to go back up. One thing I think is a mistake that analysts make about VMWare is that they look at it with too narrow a focus. They call it a software company. But it's a bit more than that.

IMO, the main vulnerability is exposure to M$FT's Hyper-V (which I have no personal experience with--all my stuff is running on VMWare ESX). If Hyper-V sucks, no problem. If Hyper-V is more expensive to license (likely), then VMW remains the gold standard. If M$FT does something to their server platform that introduces incompatibilities with ESX and other VMW platforms, that will be bad, but it can't happen for a few years at least. 2k8R2 and W7 work great on VMWare. I've also noticed the changes to the licensing structure for ESX 4 from 3.5 are likely to raise the revenue VMW can expect to bring in, not just from new datacenters and metal-to-virtual conversions, but also existing customers upgrading existing platforms.

You're discounting the threat of Xen, KVM, and VirtualBox.  The latter especially, as Oracle could do some interesting things with that.

Hmm, yeah. I love VirtualBox on my desktop. I haven't used it on the enterprise level myself, but I understand it beats ESX in it's management interfaces/hypervisor (which does seem to be a VMWare weakness to me).
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on March 19, 2010, 09:07:38 PM
No, he just said you might want some dividend stocks to offset the hit the market will take when healthcare passes.
Like AT&T at 6 & 3/4. :smarty:

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2010, 02:09:02 AM
Quote from: citizen k on March 19, 2010, 09:07:38 PM
Like AT&T at 6 & 3/4. :smarty:

:yeah:

Tamas

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2010, 01:55:46 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 19, 2010, 07:49:07 PM

Hmm, yeah. I love VirtualBox on my desktop. I haven't used it on the enterprise level myself, but I understand it beats ESX in it's management interfaces/hypervisor (which does seem to be a VMWare weakness to me).

:hmm: VMWare can count on its existing lead in this case I guess. Especially if it manages to become a sort of standard for big service companies (boarding teams pushing for certified VMWare experts and such)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Strangely, my portfolio opened strong today and isn't sinking despite all the bad Japan news.  Exception: my position in Sony. :bleeding:

Caliga

My portfolio is still nicely up (0.78%, with F up 2.42% and MAIN up 1.90%).

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Fantastique.  ADRs or Paris Bourse shares?

Anyone ever owned shares in a company that was taken over?