Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Rolls Royce, IAG, most of the British economy at the moment seems to be in a dip ala last year.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't do Rolls Royce because Etrade only allows trading on US markets.  What is IAG?

Pharma is a possibility, though it would be a little duplicative of my health care ETF.

I just thought of Beyond Meat.  Gotta look at a chart and a Motley Fool article.

Josquius

International Airlines group

British Airways and Co.
No idea how American companies in the field are doing but omicron has crashed their recovery.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Brrrf. Don't wanna have anything to do with airlines, especially legacy carriers.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2021, 04:22:07 PM
Brrrf. Don't wanna have anything to do with airlines, especially legacy carriers.
. Whys that?
They aren't going to massively multiply a hundred times over but are critically undervalued.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Because they seem to operate on a perpetual boom and bust cycle.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2021, 05:10:10 AM
Because they seem to operate on a perpetual boom and bust cycle.
That makes them a good buy during a bust right?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2021, 05:53:28 AM
That makes them a good buy during a bust right?

Unless your ownership gets diluted because of the bailout structure.

Tamas

After having taken profit on my so far most profitable single trade (bunch of Ford stocks held for almost a year and sold for 100% profit), I now have a bit of money to put in stocks. What should I buy if I want to bet on a continued high inflation worldwide and the resulting political instability, and the possible end of the print-money-like-there's-no-tomorrow policy of the last decade?

Admiral Yi

It's easier to say what you should short in a high inflation/high interest rate environment--highly indebted companies--than what you should go long.

Maybe banks?  I think the conventional wisdom is that higher rates widen their margin.

Richard Hakluyt

I believe Tamas has already had the"joy" of holding Lloyds bank shares  :lol:

They are a big domestic retail bank, lots of mortgage loans that sort of thing. The recent rise in interest rates led to an immediate rise in loan rates here, but no increase in savers' rates; so theoretically thay are a good buy as they will coin it as the interest rates continue to rise.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 10, 2022, 01:14:26 AM
I believe Tamas has already had the"joy" of holding Lloyds bank shares  :lol:

They are a big domestic retail bank, lots of mortgage loans that sort of thing. The recent rise in interest rates led to an immediate rise in loan rates here, but no increase in savers' rates; so theoretically thay are a good buy as they will coin it as the interest rates continue to rise.

Indeed.  :lol:

I am less in the red with that stock since rate hikes have become likely, in fact.

Richard Hakluyt

It is a conundrum, if I buy they will rattle along at 50p or so, if i don't buy they will double in 18 months  :hmm: :lmfao:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt