Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Holding on to 70 shares of Tesla? You are a brave man, and I admire your gambling ways.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I haven't been paying attention to the stock/meme news for months, was there a special reason for Tesla to go above $1000?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on October 28, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
Holding on to 70 shares of Tesla? You are a brave man, and I admire your gambling ways.

And trying to buy 100 more @810.  :(

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2021, 06:07:29 PM
I haven't been paying attention to the stock/meme news for months, was there a special reason for Tesla to go above $1000?

Well, several firms did issue price targets of 900+ a while back.  But short answer no.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2021, 06:07:29 PM

Yes. Hertz (big, but bankruptcy-troubled car rental business) announced an order of 100,000 Teslas to fit out their fleet.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2021, 06:08:00 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 28, 2021, 05:58:55 PM

And trying to buy 100 more @810.  :(

Do you need to borrow some money? :shifty:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

If you're trying to buy more at 810 with your call, what's stopping you?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on October 28, 2021, 06:22:43 PM
If you're trying to buy more at 810 with your call, what's stopping you?

I *sold* a put, I didn't buy a call.

That's the way the wheel works.  Sell the call until assigned, then sell the put until assigned.  Rinse and repeat.

Habbaku

Ah, gotcha, misunderstood what your strategy was.

I'd still offload all your Tesla.  :sleep:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Here's something I don't understand about puts, maybe someone can explain it to me.

So I sold a $37 Robinhood put and it got assigned.  So I expected that I would own 100 shares of Robinhood at a purchase price of $37. 

But instead my purchase price is $35.7467.  What gives?  I was obligated to buy shares at 37 but someone gave me a break.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UOJ5tTZEZI

Long discussion summarizing the SEC report on the Gamestop saga.

TLDNW: the reddit yahoos were wrong about everything.

The most interesting to me how was how tiny the short covering was compared to retail investor buying.  In other words, short covering contributed to the massive price rise at the beginning, but then it was 100% wallstreetbettors bidding up a bubble.

He's got a link to the 45 page report if you'd rather read it.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2021, 12:44:14 PM
Here's something I don't understand about puts, maybe someone can explain it to me.

So I sold a $37 Robinhood put and it got assigned.  So I expected that I would own 100 shares of Robinhood at a purchase price of $37. 

But instead my purchase price is $35.7467.  What gives?  I was obligated to buy shares at 37 but someone gave me a break.

Seems like a glitch.  That would make sense as the sales price for the put owner (assuming commission is charged).  But not what you would pay.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Looking for suggestions of stocks to sell puts against.

Selling Tesla puts is no longer a good deal for me, as I can't make 1% a month at a 810 strike.  The 810 is to maintain my cost basis.

Just sold 2 Airbnb puts, but that leaves me a chunk of change from selling Tesla that I want to put to work covering puts.

Ideal candidates are upward trending with some nice volatility.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2021, 01:34:58 PM
Looking for suggestions of stocks to sell puts against.

Selling Tesla puts is no longer a good deal for me, as I can't make 1% a month at a 810 strike.  The 810 is to maintain my cost basis.

Just sold 2 Airbnb puts, but that leaves me a chunk of change from selling Tesla that I want to put to work covering puts.

Ideal candidates are upward trending with some nice volatility.

Big Pharmas
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"