Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Awful lot of articles speaking of a stock market crash lately...
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Still seems to be largely the meme-ishly overvalued stocks suffering. Luckily I got out of this nano-tech nonsense NNDM for example. Bought at $15, gave up just below $12. Now it's below $8.

My Intel, Ford, even Palantir (a very meme-ish stock) are holding ground fairly decently. Even Canopy is hovering bit above my breakeven point. None of these are flying but also not dying with the rest.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I have lost significant ground with my play money account.  A good reminder to stick with my day job  :D

Josquius

Aaannnnd on top of the downturn and already existing problems with currency conversion trading 212 are introducing fees for foreign currency transactions.
I shall be putting no more money into there, just looking to simplify and close off much of what is already in when the time is right and find a different broker.
Really jealous of the choice Americans seem to have.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2021, 02:26:10 AM
Aaannnnd on top of the downturn and already existing problems with currency conversion trading 212 are introducing fees for foreign currency transactions.
I shall be putting no more money into there, just looking to simplify and close off much of what is already in when the time is right and find a different broker.

I thought Trading 212 was a CFD broker.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2021, 03:39:48 AM

They do that too, heavily try to push new sign ups and existing users on the isa/standard investing towards it. Figuring out what that was all about and that it should be avoided at all costs delayed my sign up quite a bit I remember.
The rumours for why they're making their standard offering worse (they've already took away limit buys/sells for anything under £100) is that the CFD business where they make most of their money is suffering as people become more savvy as to what it is.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2021, 04:13:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2021, 03:39:48 AM

They do that too, heavily try to push new sign ups and existing users on the isa/standard investing towards it. Figuring out what that was all about and that it should be avoided at all costs delayed by sign up quite a bit I remember.
The rumours for why they're making their standard offering worse (they've already took away limit buys/sells for anything under £100) is that the CFD business where they make most of their money is suffering as people become more savvy as to what it is.

These F-ers who surprise-introduced punitive CFD commissions (what a laughable concept) have only done so for their stock stuff. The support lady pointed me toward their other products with no commission. Of course, forex and commodities, and indicies betting, thank you very much. Short-term betting on stocks is hard science compared to the reckless crap those are.

Admiral Yi

My 2021 gains got wiped out, which is not so bad considering.

Habbaku

I'm fairly optimistic about this year in general, but don't expect the first two quarters to be pretty.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Thinking the correction is over?
Looking at the charts for recent days things did seem to recover slightly from halfway through today.... Though yesterday also had similar albeit less pronounced signs.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

I don't really pay attention to daily movements and nor should you.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 05, 2021, 06:37:23 PM
I don't really pay attention to daily movements and nor should you.

It is too late Yi has turned them into gamblers.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2021, 06:36:05 PM
Thinking the correction is over?
Looking at the charts for recent days things did seem to recover slightly from halfway through today.... Though yesterday also had similar albeit less pronounced signs.

I've already bought the dip, but I think we have a ways to go yet.  This selloff is driven by rising Treasury yields, if interest rates continue to climb I think we will see more downside.

I also have the feeling this correction doesn't account for the pullback we were due for just being overvalued.