Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2021, 06:13:38 PM
GME 49.85 after hours.  You were a day off Tamas.

And the CFD broker just wrote they can give me my loss from the glitch back but that's it.  :mad: Bloody morons I would have been up almost 200 pounds.

Well, there goes their future income from my reckless gambling.

Josquius

CFDs...all I know of them is stay away.

And OK, this one is funny.

Seems the whole thing has been very good for gamestop though. They've gone on quite a recruitment drive.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2021, 05:10:38 AM
CFDs...all I know of them is stay away.

In general yes, but in Europe they are your only practical way to short a US stock unless you can meet the requirements with the couple of brokerages offering US options.

Admiral Yi

Very weird.  I'm looking to cut my losses on my GME put that I paid 210 for.  The bid on the 36 put is 62 cents, the bid on the 34 put is 46 cents.

And the bid on the 35 put is five cents. :mellow:

Josquius

Seems to be a big rally on for gamestop... And trading halted on it.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

If I buy stocks from a Swedish company listed in the Stockholm stock exchange, do I have to pay capital gains taxes over there, if and when I sell them at profit or is the capital gain realized in Canada, my country of residence?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Not Spotify?  I know that is listed on the NYSE.

Tonitrus

I bought a Canadian stock once (Shaw Communications), and got hit with some Canadian tax...I didn't want to deal with that noise, so I dumped the stock shortly after for a small profit.  :sleep:

Admiral Yi

Tesla announces purchase of $1.5 billion in bitcoin.  Questions whether he was manipulating the price in his tweets.  Tesla shares up.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2021, 10:43:39 AM
I bought a Canadian stock once (Shaw Communications), and got hit with some Canadian tax...I didn't want to deal with that noise, so I dumped the stock shortly after for a small profit.  :sleep:

How does that work? Did you buy it on a Canadian exchange or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Etrade used to allow trading on a number of foreign exchanges (Toronto, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Germany are the ones I remember) but they discontinued it.

Tamas

My Dutch stock brokers let me buy shares almost everywhere altough not everything. Options and shorting only on euro stuff, and different fees based on market. Oddly enough US is cheaper than Europe.

crazy canuck

There is no tax for purchasing a stock in Canada.  The tax part comes in if you sell and have a capital gain or if you get dividend income.  Shaw regularly pays dividends and so that is probably what happened - you were paying tax on your dividend income.  I don't know how the US Canada tax treaty works for US residents, but I suspect you would only have had to pay tax on that dividend on your US tax return and not in Canada.

But yeah, before investing in a foreign jurisdiction, and especially if you are a resident of a country that taxes on world wide income like the US, its a good idea to know the tax implications ahead of time.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2021, 12:56:17 PM

There is no tax for purchasing a stock in Canada.  The tax part comes in if you sell and have a capital gain or if you get dividend income.  Shaw regularly pays dividends and so that is probably what happened - you were paying tax on your dividend income.  I don't know how the US Canada tax treaty works for US residents, but I suspect you would only have had to pay tax on that dividend on your US tax return and not in Canada.

But yeah, before investing in a foreign jurisdiction, and especially if you are a resident of a country that taxes on world wide income like the US, its a good idea to know the tax implications ahead of time.

Yep, that was it.  I was attracted to Shaw because their dividend yield was pretty good.  As I recall, the tax was deducted automatically by my broker...it was a relatively trivial amount, and I never followed up on the legalities of it.