Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Hmm looks the reddit investors won their war against the shorts only to get run over by their quant fund "allies"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2021, 12:59:51 PM
Hmm looks the reddit investors won their war against the shorts only to get run over by their quant fund "allies"

Please explain.

Not sure about winning the war against the shorts.  The second wave (Citron and one other fund who's name I can't remember) must have made money on the drop from 400 to 80.

The Minsky Moment

Once the reddit buyers got the squeeze train rolling, the funds that trade on algorithmic strategies or momentum piled in and presumably took profits leaving the diamond hands holding the bag on the downside.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2021, 02:45:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXvGrHmYlM

Koss insiders unloaded shares on redditeers. :nelson:

Probably not the actual WSB people who lost out but those who heard from a friend of a friend that anything mentioned there was a get rich quick scheme.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

I'd take the class warfare angle more seriously if these guys would go into more blue collar stocks like Air Products and Chemicals, as opposed to a gaming retailer and a fancy headphone company.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2021, 02:53:57 PM
Probably not the actual WSB people who lost out but those who heard from a friend of a friend that anything mentioned there was a get rich quick scheme.

Why do you think so?

Because the actual WSB people have demonstrated how astute and savvy they are, like the guy from Boston you said lost 10 million?

Even the very first movers on any of these short squeezes were paying owners way above market prices for their shares.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2021, 03:02:41 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2021, 02:53:57 PM

Why do you think so?

Because the actual WSB people have demonstrated how astute and savvy they are, like the guy from Boston you said lost 10 million?

Even the very first movers on any of these short squeezes were paying owners way above market prices for their shares.
Because they were all buying Gamestop.
Koss wasn't even one of the main secondaries.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

OK.  Only WSB stuff I've ever read is that Cuban thread you linked, so if you say they didn't buy Koss I'll take your word for it.

Not sure what difference that makes.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2021, 02:55:36 PM
I'd take the class warfare angle more seriously if these guys would go into more blue collar stocks like Air Products and Chemicals, as opposed to a gaming retailer and a fancy headphone company.

People who work at Gamestop are not lower class?

Anyway it was selected because of how shorted it was. Not every stock is that manipulatable. Is investing in Air Products going to bankrupt any hedge funds or anything?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Well I mentioned Air Products because the bears have pushed it down recently. 
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

If the point is to stick it to "Wall Street," they also picked the wrong target.  In the list of big Wall Street bad boys, I'd put long-short hedgies or short-focused funds way down the list.   PE and debt traders near the top, commodities traders somewhere up there.  Even in the hedge fund world I'd put the shorts and long-shorts behind NFT and the quant focused funds.  The latter tend to add to market instability but the shorts and long-shorts are stabilizing.  In an equity market dominated by passive index trackers, there needs to be some critical mass of active institutional-level investors to keep the pricing honest. Long only active managers can do that indirectly, but there is definitely a place and use for long-short and shorts.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

GME 49.85 after hours.  You were a day off Tamas.