Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2021, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2021, 10:47:08 AM
Mark Cuban AMA on the topic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/lawubt/hey_everyone_its_mark_cuban_jumping_on_to_do_an/

Tell me what I'm supposed to be looking at.  I see an opening tweet by Cuban than a bunch of spazzy conspiracy stuff.
Not a normal reddit user?
Try changing the sort by to q&a if it isn't showing up.
Mcuban is his replies to people's questions, they're showing highlighted to me.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

The one totally on the nose comment Cuban made in that AMA (re Robinhood)

Yes. There will be class action suits. And you will win. And after legal feeds you will get your $4.00 settlement check
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2021, 10:53:42 AM
You discussed this before, we haven't.

A one year put was knuckleheaded.  There was no way the price was going to stay inflated that long.

Knucklehead knucklehead knucklehead.

That is the point: if you take the position there is "no way" the price will stay inflated that long, you get "guaranteed" profit with a short. You can hold a short position for a year or longer without an issue.

The way puts were priced, you have to bet that not only will the stock price fall, but it will fall in the short term.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

I'll be pissed if my 1-stock CFD short at $250 will not be restored as an active position by my CFD broker. They still haven't come back to me regarding the glitch yesterday which stop-lossed me out of it incorrectly. I want my 100 pounds of profit dammit!  :mad:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 02, 2021, 11:24:52 AM
That is the point: if you take the position there is "no way" the price will stay inflated that long, you get "guaranteed" profit with a short. You can hold a short position for a year or longer without an issue.

The way puts were priced, you have to bet that not only will the stock price fall, but it will fall in the short term.

Well duh.  You wanted to make a overkill sure thing bet and were butthurt that it cost a lot.  Of course it cost a lot.  How can a sure thing not cost a lot?

DGuller

How much flexibility do companies have to sell their own stock on short notice?  I know you can issue more stock, but it sounds like a length process.  Can Gamestop keep a supply of their own stock in a vault, maybe after buying them back, without removing them from the circulation?  If they could do that, then cashing in that vault could easily allow them mint losses for many more years.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 02, 2021, 12:24:48 PM
How much flexibility do companies have to sell their own stock on short notice?  I know you can issue more stock, but it sounds like a length process.  Can Gamestop keep a supply of their own stock in a vault, maybe after buying them back, without removing them from the circulation?  If they could do that, then cashing in that vault could easily allow them mint losses for many more years.

You have to issue a prospectus, get it approved, which is lengthy.

Now, if Gamestop already had a prospectus and was already authorized to sell stock from time to time, then absolutely they should be doing that.  I read some takes that this bizarre story has "saved" the movie theatre business because AMC (which also had a similar stock increase) has been doing just that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2021, 11:55:37 AM
Well duh.  You wanted to make a overkill sure thing bet and were butthurt that it cost a lot.  Of course it cost a lot.  How can a sure thing not cost a lot?

Are we talking about options or shorting?

I'm really not butthurt about either. Options pricing is fair, and shorting is cheap but logically unavailable because in high demand. I'm a bit annoyed that the response is to leave me on hold for 1 hour 40 minutes rather than just say, "shorting of this stock is in high demand and only available to our highest priority clients".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

https://nypost.com/2021/02/02/barstool-founder-dave-portnoy-sells-gamestop-amc-shares-at-700k-loss/

QuoteOutspoken social media personality Dave Portnoy tweeted Tuesday that he has sold his shares in companies GameStop and AMC at a major loss, blaming trading app Robinhood for killing the so-called "Reddit Rally" that he joined and helped promote in recent weeks.

"I have officially sold all my meme stocks. I lost 700k ish." Portnoy tweeted, going on to take a personal shot at the CEO of Robinhood. "Vlad and company stole it from me and should be in jail."

:nelson:

Josquius

He ain't wrong though. That's the big take away from Cuban. Robinhood blocking access is when things turned.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
He ain't wrong though. That's the big take away from Cuban. Robinhood blocking access is when things turned.

He is wrong.  Robinhood customers could have moved their funds to another broker and kept up the fight.

Things turned when sellers outnumbered buyers.  This short squeeze ponzi squeeze needed a net inflow of buyers to keep the price jacked up long enough so the shorts ran out of money to post collateral and pay the borrowing interest.

Actually Squeeze, you, and people like you killed the scheme.  Everyone who cashed out their winnings killed the scheme.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2021, 01:01:08 PM

Yes, but the drive was completely unsustainable - it wasn't going to keep going up.  Robinhood may have been what started the downturn, but if not Robinhood something else would have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Robinhood customers could have moved their funds to another broker and kept up the fight.

Yes. If they reacted superfast on Thursday, realising the  restrictions were there to stay and withdrew funds immediately, they would have received them by today, and quite possibly have had their new accounts somewhere else verified, ready to make a new deposit just about now.

Come on mate. I was bloody watching the GME chart and the UnusualWhales discord as it unfolded. The momentum broke as the news came out and and as it spread the price started to fall.

No matter what, these pains and tears are how it was to end for a lot of people, but the particular way the squeeze ended was absolutely linked to Robinhood and the other popular brokers shutting people's access off.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2021, 01:21:33 PM
Yes. If they reacted superfast on Thursday, realising the  restrictions were there to stay and withdrew funds immediately, they would have received them by today, and quite possibly have had their new accounts somewhere else verified, ready to make a new deposit just about now.

Come on mate. I was bloody watching the GME chart and the UnusualWhales discord as it unfolded. The momentum broke as the news came out and and as it spread the price started to fall.

No matter what, these pains and tears are how it was to end for a lot of people, but the particular way the squeeze ended was absolutely linked to Robinhood and the other popular brokers shutting people's access off.

Did any of this compel owners of GME to sell their shares?  The price only drops when people sell.

FYI, I linked an interview upstream that says Ameritrade never stopped trading, only prohibited naked calls.