Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I have never read a stock market related comment from you here over the years that wasn't along the line of "this is fine / the rules are right". I very much doubt you are as fact-based on this topic as you claim.

But I agree we are not going to convince each other.

Habbaku

Have you considered that Yi has made those comments because "[it was] fine / the rules [were] right"? I don't see how his not posting negatively means he's not fact-based.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 31, 2021, 03:47:14 PM
Have you considered that Yi has made those comments because "[it was] fine / the rules [were] right"? I don't see how his not posting negatively means he's not fact-based.

I have considered it and found him to be wrong.

Habbaku

Cool. So you've considered it, but instead of actually tackling that argument, you've decided to just accuse him of white knighting and dismissing everything else out of hand. Very cool.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

FT reports the the big banks are already deploying algorithms based on automated processing of internet chatter. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Today the redditers are championing the cause of a small weak company.
But the same techniques could just as easily be used for other purposes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Which they have been for years.
Media has given stock recommendations for as long as there has been stocks and media.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2021, 04:24:17 PM
Media has given stock recommendations for as long as there has been stocks and media.

Various actors have been giving stock recommendations since forever based on intrinsic value.  (Or magical lines on graphs, which is more recent.) This is something new.

Oexmelin

Facts and logic seem a bizarre basis for a discussion of the stock market.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 31, 2021, 04:20:44 PM
Today the redditers are championing the cause of a small weak company.
But the same techniques could just as easily be used for other purposes.

It has already been the case for Tesla, then before Bitcoin. But that didn't cause unexpected loss of billions to influential people so there was no wailing.

There was also little to no attention for example, when somebody managed to bribe somebody in the Trump administration to announce granting a loan to Kodak to produce Covid-19 medicine, which of course came to nothing and their stock price made a similar rollercoaster like with Gamestop. Then again this was old school fake news spreading agreed behind close doors by a few people.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/04/why-kodak-stock-skyrocketed-75-in-2020/

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 31, 2021, 05:14:50 PM
Facts and logic seem a bizarre basis for a discussion of the stock market.

I'll bite.  Why?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2021, 05:02:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2021, 04:24:17 PM

Various actors have been giving stock recommendations since forever based on intrinsic value.  (Or magical lines on graphs, which is more recent.) This is something new.
Not really.
It wasn't just a case of a sub deciding one day to spam gamestop for a laugh.
Gamestop and its overly shorted potential has been talked about and recommended on wsb for months.
Many of the others finding themselves grouped in with gamestop have been recommended by more mainstream stock sites for a long while.
There is absolutely nothing illegal going on.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2021, 05:53:01 PM
Not really.
Gamestop and its overly shorted potential has been talked about and recommended on wsb for months.

Really.  Reccomending you buy a stock to bid up the price to induce a short squeeze is not something that has been done to the best of my knowledge.  If you know otherwise, please inform me.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2021, 05:56:22 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2021, 05:53:01 PM
Not really.

Really.  Reccomending you buy a stock to bid up the price to induce a short squeeze is not something that has been done to the best of my knowledge.  If you know otherwise, please inform me.

Has not been successfully done on an Internet forum before? Probably. But it has been done via other means surely, as in, agreed between investors/fund managers/whatever. And no, I don't have any proof and won't be looking for one.