Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 28, 2021, 02:06:37 PM
There are a few relevant factors contributing to gamestop and the other short squeezes.  One is the "gamma squeeze" that exploits the fact that the securities markets rely on institutional market makers to make a liquid and fair market. Because the market makers want to stay neutral and hedge their risk, they can become heavy buyers when out of the money call options get close to being in the money, and that buying can precipitate a short squeeze and a scramble for shares.  This phenomenon is a by-product of a trading system that uses market markers - and IMO the presence of market markers is a desirable feature of the system.

So market makers are counterparties on options?

QuoteIf the price rise that precipitates the squeeze occurs based on fundamentals/market news/market trends, then again it's WAD and if the shorts lose their shirt it's because they took that risk.  But if the price rise is based on some variant of pump-and-dump style manipulation, then it's not WAD and the regulators should act.

That's why I think the SEC is scratching its head on this.  If the price rise is based on a short seller vendetta, and the manipulators are indifferent to their losses, what are they supposed to do?

QuoteAnother factor I think Tyr raised is that securities lending rules permit the same shares to be lent more than once (albeit subject to some limits).  I've never been able to figure out the purpose of allowing that from a market regulation standpoint.  My understanding is that it is permitted because brokerages make significant income from rehypothecation.

Please explain to me why this is a problem.
[/quote]

Admiral Yi

AOC has called for an investigation of brokers who blocked purchases.

Joined by Donald Trump Jr. and Ted Cruz.

Admiral Yi

Tamas

So perhaps those who absolutely had to get out of GME shorts to save their bonuses have done so.

Sheilbh

The modern Republican party really is a sight to behold:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

In the Congressman's defense it is not far off what AF posted in this thread.

Tamas

Is it true some finance people interviewed are calling Reddit the  "deep web" and claiming the wsb people are MAGA supporters?  :lol:

HVC

Robinhood app is not available in my area? Never checked before today so I don't know if it's not available in Canada, or if apple took it down.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2021, 06:20:32 PM
In the Congressman's defense it is not far off what AF posted in this thread.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I don't catch any relation between the congressman shilling his website's promotion and anything I posted here.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2021, 04:15:30 PM
AOC has called for an investigation of brokers who blocked purchases.

Joined by Donald Trump Jr. and Ted Cruz.

My first thought is that the brokers overstepped by cutting off their own clients, but I'm not sure i want to join this coalition.

Yi questions - 1) yes typically a marketmaker will take the other side of a transaction, to the extent the firm has net exposure one way or another they will hedge. 
2) I'm not sure this is vendetta, I think the reddit investors are looking to make $ by forcing the squeeze
3) Over rehypothication is problematic because in a crisis event collateral that is supposed to there has already been moved and lent out, perhaps multiple times.  This was one of the problems that manifested in the 08 crisis which led the SEC to put some limits on it - but arguably not enough.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2021, 01:29:44 AM
3) Over rehypothication is problematic because in a crisis event collateral that is supposed to there has already been moved and lent out, perhaps multiple times.  This was one of the problems that manifested in the 08 crisis which led the SEC to put some limits on it - but arguably not enough.

But isn't that a problem with rehypothecation rather than with shorting +100% of the float?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2021, 06:08:19 PM
The modern Republican party really is a sight to behold:

That they put the QAnon lady on the committee responsible for education is certainly the best(worst) example of how far they've sunk.

Josquius

Gamestop back in the 400s with pre-market buzz. I noticed in Trading 212 the buy button isn't locked anymore.
No intention to buy anymore myself, that's gamblers stuff, shall be aiming to sell up at some point, but looks to be an interesting day ahead. Today is the day shorts are meant to hit the end of the road and have to buy.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 06:40:40 AM
Today is the day shorts are meant to hit the end of the road and have to buy.

I think you're still confusing short selling and put options.

Syt

Stephen Colbert roughly explains the GameStop stuff: https://youtu.be/AfK9sb9RQ3s

(after a summary of Marjorie Taylor Greene's craziness)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.