Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 04:04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ii1U7UW-jE

Endowment manager of Akron U. thinks several short hedge funds will go bankrupt and explains today's market sell off as short funds liquidating their positions to cover.

I don't buy that guys on reddit are doing this. There is real money behind it.

When the price was approaching $150 a share, I texted a friend, "I want to short this but I'm worried someone like Elon Musk is driving it" -- that was a few hours before his tweet. He is very public about hating short sellers and he could poor billions into a shit company like Gamestop and wipe out the shorts.

But at $350 a share there is a limit to how high he can drive it. I was trying to use a bit under 1/3 of my account as a short--the problem with taking this to $1,050 a share (where I'd start to run into problems with margin calls) is that the valuation becomes $70+ billion (I'm assuming the stock base has been expanding), and that gets to be too pricy even for him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

At some point it becomes an infinite leveling game.  Maybe people on reddit didn't have the power to do the short squeeze, but if others believed they did, or believed that others believed they did, and so on to infinity, then they would start trying to get ahead of the game.  If the market believed that a single homeless guy living under an overpass could move the market with one word, then that single former options trader would be able to move the market with one word.

alfred russel

But there isn't a current short squeeze (which is distinct from individual shorts getting squeezed, which is definitely happening). The stock is so shorted there is nothing available to short. Every available share is shorted. That is true now and it will be true so long as the price remains this high.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2021, 03:43:44 PM
The idea as I gather for those who are in on it big is that the short sellers will be effectively forced by the institutions who loaned them the stock to pay huge money for actual stock as happened with volkswagen.

Right.  Apart from the "forced" part, I get the logic of the short squeeze driving up the price.  But for that to work you still need willing buyers at a price above what you paid.  Where are those willing buyers?  Except for the members of the Reddit flash mob, everyone else thinks it's a $6 stock.
For some it'll be YOLO with, say, $1,000 - join in, internet community, watch a hedgie go bust. I can think of worse ways to spend time in a pandemic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Apparently Reddit has shut down the Wallstreetbets forum.
Big investors get bailouts for recklessness, individuals get silenced.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2021, 06:56:27 PM

I feel hard to feel all the people are being silenced with this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah. Apparently it's not been shut down for anything to do with this. It's been shut down for "hate speech".

It took them four plus years to have a look at what was going on in TheDonald <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

It got set private. It's been set private before. WSB will rise again.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 07:59:57 PM
Big investors get bailouts for recklessness

Please elaborate.

Aint gonna give you a brief on the 2008 crisis mate you will need to do your own reading up on that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2021, 08:02:46 PM
Aint gonna give you a brief on the 2008 crisis mate you will need to do your own reading up on that.

I guess you didn't consider the possibility I didn't know what you were talking about.  I saw something similar in a youtube title and figured some short hedge funds had been bailed out.

Of course calling TARP a bailout of "big investors" is bullshit.

Zoupa

Admiral Yi

Tesla misses on earnings report, stock down from 880 to 820 after hours.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2021, 08:02:46 PM

I guess you didn't consider the possibility I didn't know what you were talking about.  I saw something similar in a youtube title and figured some short hedge funds had been bailed out.

Of course calling TARP a bailout of "big investors" is bullshit.

What would you classify it as?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.