Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

When did these side bets become a thing? seems like it gives a better strong incentive to screw with the market.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

TD Ameritrade has imposed trading restrictions on Gamestop and AMC (??).

alfred russel

I'm fucking bitter. I tried shorting Gamestop (my first trade in like a dozen years) today and it said I had to call to place the order because it was hard to borrow, and there were increased fees.

So I called, stayed on hold 1 hour 20 minutes with fidelity, and the guy answered there was a problem with his machine and he was transferring me to another dude with a working machine, and then after 20 more minutes on hold I hung up.

Fuck fidelity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 02:43:03 PM

not Blackberry yet?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 02:43:03 PM

Apparently Blackberry too.  :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

what's the rational for imposing restrictions? As far as i know buying stock stupidly isn't illegal. if it was there would be no market :D

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2021, 02:58:07 PM
what's the rational for imposing restrictions? As far as i know buying stock stupidly isn't illegal. if it was there would be no market :D

One rationale would be to prevent a pump and dump.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 03:03:59 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2021, 02:58:07 PM

One rationale would be to prevent a pump and dump.

Is that illegal? Serious question.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2021, 03:06:20 PM

Not an expert, but I do know that market manipulation can get you in trouble with the SEC.  Like when Elon paid that fine for tweeting he was going to go private.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 03:09:39 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2021, 03:06:20 PM

Not an expert, but I do know that market manipulation can get you in trouble with the SEC.  Like when Elon paid that fine for tweeting he was going to go private.

He's an insider to the company though.

Not sure if some average joe does it what happens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

QuoteWhat Is Pump-and-Dump?

Pump-and-dump is a scheme that attempts to boost the price of a stock through recommendations based on false, misleading or greatly exaggerated statements. The perpetrators of this scheme already have an established position in the company's stock and sell their positions after the hype has led to a higher share price. This practice is illegal based on securities law and can lead to heavy fines.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pumpanddump.asp

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 27, 2021, 03:19:45 PM
I sold my GameStop shares a few hours ago.  :sleep:

You and half their management.

All those people who were looking for ways to get off the sinking ship suddenly have enough for retirement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."