Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

What I suggest is that selling a stock at time B is either a good decision or it's not, economically speaking.  It's not a good decision for some and bad decision for others, economically speaking.  It's not like for all those who bought it at 20, it's a good decision, and for all those who bought at 30 it's not, and yet that's where mental accounting will lead you.  The gains and losses happen when the price changes, not when they're realized.

Yes, I'm ignoring taxes here, make a report to the IRS if you want.

DGuller

Incidentally, I do think that Yi has a point.  If you think that the market is efficient, and that it's generally a good investment, what matters more is if your beliefs get you in the market.  What matters none at all is whether your beliefs are rational or full of behavioral biases or superstitions.  Avoiding mental biases only matters if your skill has the possibility of changing the outcome, which isn't really the case in the efficient market.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2021, 08:03:05 AM
Incidentally, I do think that Yi has a point.  If you think that the market is efficient, and that it's generally a good investment, what matters more is if your beliefs get you in the market.  What matters none at all is whether your beliefs are rational or full of behavioral biases or superstitions.  Avoiding mental biases only matters if your skill has the possibility of changing the outcome, which isn't really the case in the efficient market.

I think that what matters more is investing rationally rather than on the basis of belief.  For many stock picking or doing their own investing is not a rational decision.

Admiral Yi

Did you pull the trigger Tonto, or did Gloomy Guller scare you off?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2021, 08:18:04 PM
Did you pull the trigger Tonto, or did Gloomy Guller scare you off?

Not yet.  Apparently I goofed and only submitted for approval to trade options on me regular account, not the Roth one.  :sleep:

But, to test the waters, I did trade a covered call from that account on AAPL at an absurd 150/share (as I am not really that inclined to unload it) that expires in a couple weeks.  That one is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Admiral Yi

When did you start speaking Irish.  ^_^

Did you get any Gecko vibe?

Tonitrus

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Sold 1 Tesla put 1/29 @740.

Sold 7 NNDM calls 2/29 @17.50.

Tonitrus

I'm starting to get that itchy feeling like it's nearing time to cash out.  :unsure:

Habbaku

Cash out of Tesla? Of the stock market in general? Of your 401k?

Playing games with timing is dangerous.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Habbaku

Everyone has to make their own decisions at the end of the day, but I strongly urge you not to play the timing game. Staying in, consistently investing, and steadily rebalancing away from risky assets as you age is the most proven means of success.

I think it's normal to get jitters as the market breaks all time highs year after year, but if you bail out now, when do you get back in? After the next crash?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Part of the feeling, I think, is that I am pretty much at what I've seen as being my financial goal/target (well ahead of schedule)...and cashing out would mean that I may be able to just coast, without worrying as much about the ups and downs of the market.