Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2020, 05:02:23 PM
As far as your IRA returns, I could've done that as well if I sold before the Covid crash and bought back in at the bottom.

I too could have made money if i bought stocks and sold them at the right time

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2020, 05:02:23 PM
According to Wiki, LC hasn't gone belly up, but rather they're winding down.  As far as your IRA returns, I could've done that as well if I sold before the Covid crash and bought back in at the bottom.

I thought you were talking BS, what with the S&P only up 12ish for the year, but if my math is right that checks out.  I get like 150% return.

Did you read that somewhere, or did you run the numbers to satisfy some funky Jewish anal-retentive psychological need?

DGuller

I made a blind guess  :blush:.  I did wonder later on if a single sell and buy sequence would get the job done, but it was too late, so I tried to not think about it.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 04:57:16 PM
Lending Club has gone belly up looks like.  Not accepting any more funds.

Don't read further if bragging bothers you.

I just had the most monumental year in terms of investments.  The IRA is up 122% year to date.  Total net worth up 87%.  Hooray.

Excellent returns, you must have timed your buys and sells almost perfectly  :cheers:

I'm up 18% on the year; I sold at the perfect point early in the year but was slow to get back in, portfolio is also heavy with LSE which has not gone well at all this year.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2021, 03:23:41 AM
Excellent returns, you must have timed your buys and sells almost perfectly  :cheers:

My timing was mediocre.  I started getting in too early.

My great fortune was to have bought into a couple of monsters a while back.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 04:57:16 PM
Lending Club has gone belly up looks like.  Not accepting any more funds.

Don't read further if bragging bothers you.

I just had the most monumental year in terms of investments.  The IRA is up 122% year to date.  Total net worth up 87%.  Hooray.

I'm close...around 76% (that is only from March on...as my brokerage switched, it would take more work to get complete numbers).  Most of it driven by a timely TSLA buy, and dragged down a bit by my REITs, which have been mostly hammered by COVID.

AAPL and MSFT are also big contributors...also done very well with TRUP.  I figured you can always count on people to be a bit fanatic and splurge on their pets.  :P

Tonitrus

I had made a good profit on TSLA 4-5 years ago, and just took a quick profit on it.  Perhaps the key difference between that time and this, is that this time I bought TSLA from my Roth IRA account. 

I'm holding it for now...but I'll likely dump it as soon as it starts any kind of trend downwards (but worry that it won't trend down, but crash down).

Threviel

Tesla really has a marvellous product and is exactly right in time. I've been comparing different electrical vehicles and it's quite obvious that Tesla is head and shoulders above the competition. Kind of like Apple. Perhaps not the best based on raw compared data points, but the experience as a whole is just totally superior.

Tesla does not have the financial numbers to explain its valuation and I think it's grossly over-valued right now, but it seems to be a healthy company with a superior product. I can see a re-evaluation, but I think it will still hold a significant value for the next ten years or so.

Tamas

So are the stimulus checks going straight into bitcoin or what? People should stick to meme stocks instead of this shit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 01, 2021, 06:06:41 AM
also done very well with TRUP.

QuoteTrupanion is a pet insurance provider based in Seattle, Washington, that offers and administers cat and dog insurance in the United States, Canada, Australia, and Puerto Rico.

I thought I was easily winning the Most Obscure Investment contest with my pipeline ETF but you smash it with TRUP.

Tonitrus

I think the main reasons I picked it up are; the aforementioned faith in people spending on their fur babies...and that it is Seattle-based.  I do have a definite hometown/area bias in my stock picks (i.e. MSFT, SBUX, COST...I held PCAR for a long time).

For example, BLFS is another one I have done pretty well with.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on January 02, 2021, 12:34:23 PM
So are the stimulus checks going straight into bitcoin or what? People should stick to meme stocks instead of this shit.

:hmm: Why stick to meme stocks if Bitcoin is up 500% or whatever?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I do think that the reason we seem to have so many asset bubbles lately is that a lot of cash makes its way to the people who frankly already have so much they don't know what to do with it.  They've done all the consumption they were going to do, so now they have to figure out how make more money out of the extra money they have lying around.  Had more of that extra cash made its way to the poorer people, then we'd have consumer price inflation (remember that?) instead of asset bubbles.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2021, 04:27:36 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 02, 2021, 12:34:23 PM

:hmm: Why stick to meme stocks if Bitcoin is up 500% or whatever?

I own a meme stock but I do not own Bitcoin :p