Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Tamas

Syt

I'm a lazy investor. I have a few investment funds that my bank runs and where I invest monthly. Mostly future tech, emerging markets, green tech, tech to tackle climate change/mitigate its effects etc.

Amusingly, since the start of the pandemic the value of my portfolio for one that's basically run by the World Wildlife Fund has gained over 30%, while the Biotec one is down 13% :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2020, 02:38:57 AM
I'm a lazy investor. I have a few investment funds that my bank runs and where I invest monthly. Mostly future tech, emerging markets, green tech, tech to tackle climate change/mitigate its effects etc.

Amusingly, since the start of the pandemic the value of my portfolio for one that's basically run by the World Wildlife Fund has gained over 30%, while the Biotec one is down 13% :lol:

Yeah I wish I realised that back in April, probably missed a lifetime chance of loading up on some big tech companies on semi-reasonable prices.

The sort of tech-based meme market is still swinging though to some degree. Spent a little money on Uber, cashed out when it was +35% up, then as an even bigger gamble spent all that money on Palantir shares about a week ago. It's some data software company. They had good quarterly results and turned out Soros invested in them back in September, so I jumped in when it was something like $17.6 per share, today it is flirting with $26.

These are now compensating for my terrible moves a couple of years back, when I invested in Lloyds bank right up at their top, and in one of them weed companies about 8% shy of their all time high, now both worth little more than half of their value then. :P

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking of dumping my loser Yuro etfs after the December dividends pay out and reinvesting in Boeing.

TALK ME OUT OF IT.

Admiral Yi

Goldman announced a 780 price target for Tesla.

Airbnb IPO filing says price between 35 and 40, implied valuation of 35 billion.

Admiral Yi

Airbnb to IPO on 12/9, first day of trading 12/10.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2020, 06:30:24 PM
Airbnb to IPO on 12/9, first day of trading 12/10.

Thanks for the heads-up. What's our take on it, then? I defo want to invest into it, but a valuation of $40 IIRC, it might take a nose-dive from there before goes back up.

Habbaku

I'm pretty bullish on AirBNB, at least long-term. It's an excellent business model that's recovered quite a bit in the wake of the 'Rona. They also have a lot of leverage on their "suppliers" in terms of squeezing fees and such. The real trouble is (obviously, nothing new here) going to come from potential regulations on the local scale.

As usual with these things, though, I don't recommend buying and selling individual stocks. Now, crypto on the other hand...  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2020, 09:51:32 AM
As usual with these things, though, I don't recommend buying and selling individual stocks. Now, crypto on the other hand...  :P

Oh shut up. :rolleyes:

Syt

Now, crypto on the other hand...  :P

I recently got rid of my bitcoin money. I got it as vouchers for christmas/belated 5 year gift from the company almost 3 years ago. I waited a good few months before using the vouchers, but the rate still dropped significantly after that. I recently sold when it finally became about 15 or 20% worth more than what I originally cashed in on. Deleted my wallet and am done with this. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2020, 08:05:56 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. What's our take on it, then? I defo want to invest into it, but a valuation of $40 IIRC, it might take a nose-dive from there before goes back up.

My magic eight ball says the price is going to climb straight out of the gate.  Fanbois on youtube are geeking out.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2020, 11:18:23 AM

Oh shut up. :rolleyes:

The latest shitcoins are going to moon despite your FOMO.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien