Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Leaving that aside, if we assume for the sake of argument that Tesla produces cars only for rich dickheads, what does that have to do with the share price rising after a split?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2020, 02:46:35 PM
Leaving that aside, if we assume for the sake of argument that Tesla produces cars only for rich dickheads, what does that have to do with the share price rising after a split?

More with the overall valuation of the company than the post-split FOMO-fueled rise, really.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2020, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
Mate, that STARTS from £42k. That is not mass market.

It's a lot cheaper outside You Kay.  32ish?  I know they discounted off that price in China, don't know if they did elsewhere.

I've noticed that Tesla's have an even more premium price here in Albion.  It's as if they just decided not to bother with a GBP/USD conversion and leave the numbers the same.

Admiral Yi

Don't Britanicos pay an ass load of car sales tax?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2020, 07:44:58 PM
Don't Britanicos pay an ass load of car sales tax?

VAT of 20% will be charged, as it is for most things.......that may account for the higher price.

Hamilcar

Tamas

QuoteApple overtakes FTSE 100
Here's one for the history books - Apple is now worth more than every company in the FTSE 100, combined!

After rallying (yet again) yesterday, the world's most valuable company is now worth over $2.1 trillion, an all-time record.

In contrast the Footsie (which is woefully light on tech stocks) is now worth around £1.5 trillion, or roughly $2 trillion.

While Apple has surged by an astonishing 75% this year, the blue-chip FTSE 100 has lost over 20% of its value since January 1st, in a blow to UK savers and investors.

Tamas

Lloyds has sunk another -5% today WTF :bleeding: I am at the stage with it where it just doesn't worth selling the stocks might as well let it ride down to zero for the off chance it ever recovers.

DGuller

Damn it, I was just starting to research how to short that bubble, and as usual I'm a couple of days late to the party.  There is still plenty of downside, that I am sure, but it sucks to have missed out on the most certain part of it.  :(

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2020, 04:57:39 PM
Damn it, I was just starting to research how to short that bubble, and as usual I'm a couple of days late to the party.  There is still plenty of downside, that I am sure, but it sucks to have missed out on the most certain part of it.  :(

Well it looks certain now but it wasn't when it started. Tesla's price can change quite violently so it was a risky proposition to short it, I lost most of what I gained from following it up the second half of August, refusing to believe this is THE collapse I was expecting a month or two later.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2020, 05:07:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2020, 04:57:39 PM

Well it looks certain now but it wasn't when it started. Tesla's price can change quite violently so it was a risky proposition to short it, I lost most of what I gained from following it up the second half of August, refusing to believe this is THE collapse I was expecting a month or two later.
That's why I was researching it as opposed to diving head first.  Once the P/E ratio goes into a completely insane territory, there is no telling how much more insane it can get before something happens that is interpreted as a sign to wrap it up.  I know that with short plays you can easily be forced to realize the loss before reality catches up to your position.

Admiral Yi

If you were/are considering short selling, don't.  You have unlimited downside risk.  If you want to make a bet the price will fall, buy puts.

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2020, 05:23:05 PM
If you were/are considering short selling, don't.  You have unlimited downside risk.  If you want to make a bet the price will fall, buy puts.

Unless you cover the short with a purchased call.  That'd insulate you from the unlimited risk at least during the pendency of the contract.  But nothing is going to save you from short interest and dividends.  I learned that the hard (albeit moderately creative) way while sitting in a Fed Tax class in law school.
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2020, 05:23:05 PM

Yeah, easier to burn your money with crappy 3X inverse leveraged ETFs.