Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Also, Yi, concluding that stocks are overinflated doesn't mean that it is a bad idea to invest in them, or that those who have made a mistake.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 30, 2020, 08:51:09 AM
Also, Yi, concluding that stocks are overinflated doesn't mean that it is a bad idea to invest in them, or that those who have made a mistake.

It's not a mistake so long as the investor understands the volatility of the price of the asset he or she is buying.  The problem with bubbles is that this idea gets lost in the rush to "buy before the price goes up even more."

If you truly believe that a stock is over-inflated in value, the only reason to hang on to it is because you think that you are smarter than the market and can time your sale of the asset better than the average buyer, so that you can sell at or near the price peak.  Otherwise, you should sell the overinflated stocks and use the money to buy underappreciated stocks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 30, 2020, 07:26:36 AM
There is an immense amount of capital/money available; but instead of funding new firms and industries it is inflating existing stock and property prices. If the economy was more innovative then people would have better things to invest in.

I think that is what Tyr is saying; I'm inclined to agree if it is.

:yes:

A bit of a problem in the world at large for decades to some extent. But now more than ever we are in this situation.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2020, 01:46:53 PM
There is an immense amount of capital/money available; but instead of funding new firms and industries it is inflating existing stock and property prices. If the economy was more innovative then people would have better things to invest in.

A bit of a problem in the world at large for decades to some extent. But now more than ever we are in this situation.

So you guys think more money should go into Venture Capital funds?  :hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2020, 02:13:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2020, 01:46:53 PM

So you guys think more money should go into Venture Capital funds?  :hmm:

That could be one way. Or a better system for mico-investing, particularly locally, could be great. Or a better system for mature companies to raise funds by selling new options of some form. Or go completely away from the stock market and people just spend more on stuff for their life; a very tricky one.  There's probably a lot of good ideas that haven't come to me in a few minutes of quick thought.
The problem is obvious. The solution less-so.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Which I guess you would argue is perfectly rational for a company making niche cars for the rich.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2020, 01:06:22 PM
Which I guess you would argue is perfectly rational for a company making niche cars for the rich.

I wouldn't argue this because they make mass-market cars too, and I don't see any connection between the market they serve and the share price rising after a split.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2020, 01:35:47 PM
Fuck. If only I ever had money to invest.

I understand now how teh gays get so rich.  No kids, plenty of disposable income.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2020, 01:45:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2020, 01:35:47 PM
Fuck. If only I ever had money to invest.

I understand now how teh gays get so rich.  No kids, plenty of disposable income.

Well to be fair I was in even worse shape back when I had no kids :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2020, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2020, 01:06:22 PM

I wouldn't argue this because they make mass-market cars too, and I don't see any connection between the market they serve and the share price rising after a split.

Which one is their mass market model?

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
Mate, that STARTS from £42k. That is not mass market.

It's a lot cheaper outside You Kay.  32ish?  I know they discounted off that price in China, don't know if they did elsewhere.