Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

What are the biggest dogs in y'all's portfolios?  Here are mine.

AMLP.  Alerian Master Limited Partnership, oil pipeline index fund.  Down 53.44%.

EWP.  Spain index fund.  Down 30.37%.  First I got fucked by Catalan independence, then by Covid.

AGNC.  FHA bond REIT.  Mimsy turned me onto this because of the too good to be true 15% dividend yield.  Down 52.57%.

PSO.  Pearson ADR.  I bought at 15% discount to market at various times through a payroll deduction program so can't calculate percentage loss.  Bought at like 12, 14, 16, trading now at $7.49.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2020, 04:30:35 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2020, 03:18:20 PM
So... This tech bubble.... Massive sign of a screwed up economy right? I all that money being traded back and forth between people over shares of a few firms rather than being invested into value making business....

Kind of, but probably not in the way you are thinking.

The ridiculously low yields on bank savings and bonds has definitely pushed people into equities.  On the other hand, the ridiculously low yields on bank lending and bonds means anyone who wants to borrow to finance the purchase of plant and equipment can do so very easily.

Yeah, the point is though they aren't. This kind of productive investment, the sign of a healthy economy, isn't happening. Instead it's all going into the bubble.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 29, 2020, 03:02:42 AM
Yeah, the point is though they aren't. This kind of productive investment, the sign of a healthy economy, isn't happening. Instead it's all going into the bubble.

I don't know what you mean by "it."

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2020, 03:25:20 AM

££££
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

So... This tech bubble.... Massive sign of a screwed up economy right? I all that money being traded back and forth between people over shares of a few firms rather than being invested into value making business....

Why do you think it's a bubble?

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 29, 2020, 05:18:48 AM

You can call it overinflation due to speculation I guess but "bubble" is easier and means the same thing.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2020, 05:20:33 AM

You can call it overinflation due to speculation I guess but "bubble" is easier and means the same thing.

Ok, why do you think it's that?

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 29, 2020, 06:52:59 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2020, 05:20:33 AM

Ok, why do you think it's that?

e.g.

QuoteToday the stocks in the Nasdaq Composite Index are valued in aggregate at a wild, sky-high $17 trillion. That's equal to 90% of the entire U.S. gross domestic product, and more than half the market value of all U.S. traded stocks.

So why do you think he is wrong about it?

Hamilcar

I hate to answer with a question, but why do you think that ratio is a signal that the Nasdaq is overvalued?

FWIW, you're mixing flow (GDP per year) with asset value (which includes flow from future years).

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 29, 2020, 10:09:35 AM
I hate to answer with a question, but why do you think that ratio is a signal that the Nasdaq is overvalued?

FWIW, you're mixing flow (GDP per year) with asset value (which includes flow from future years).

Why do you think ratio is not a signal that the Nasdaq is overvalued?

grumbler

The reason that the NASDAQ looks over-priced is because the intangible value of the assets being traded seems to outweigh the tangible value of those assets.  The value of intangible assets is highly volatile and the NASDAQ investors seem to be ignoring that fact.

Do you believe that the NYSE was not over-valued on September 3, 1929?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 29, 2020, 03:51:14 AM

££££

You seem to be suggesting that companies and individuals are borrowing money to buy stocks.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2020, 01:40:46 PM

££££

You seem to be suggesting that companies and individuals are borrowing money to buy stocks.

Why wouldn't institutions do so? Banks especially. Not directly, but the money printing loans they get from the fed to bolster their reserves frees them up to be more brave elsewhere.

Plus if one trades on margin that's kind of like a loan is it not?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2020, 01:55:56 PM
Why wouldn't institutions do so? Banks especially. Not directly, but the money printing loans they get from the fed to bolster their reserves frees them up to be more brave elsewhere.

Plus if one trades on margin that's kind of like a loan is it not?

Banks have limits on proprietary trading.  Banks are not the only companies that borrow money.

Trading on margin would apply.  Is there any evidence of an increase in margin trading?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2020, 01:40:46 PM

££££

Not something which really came into my thought process. They could well be.
More that the money which is available, whether on hand or borrowed, is being pumped into pushing some tech stocks ever higher rather than into actual businesses.
There seems to be little confidence for startups or even established businesses looking to raise funds. Instead everyone is trading amongst themselves, speculating on pushing up tesla, apple, etc... ever higher and higher.
The more I learn about this stuff the more it becomes clear that there are two kinds of high stock market, a healthy and an unhealthy one...and we are very much in the latter.
██████
██████
██████