Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

What am I missing on Tesla?  Is everyone just bored to death due to Covid, and is trying to set the Guiness world record for the biggest tulip bubble?

Tamas

That's sorted then.  :D

The main purpose of it is for an algo to share unusual option trades of high volume (called Unusual Whales).

As I don't do options I don't care much for those but the chat during trading hours is rather fun and sometimes informstive
It's not even close to the retardedness of Wallstreetbets but it is rather full of 20-somethings recklessly gambling, being bailed out by Tesla, and thinking they are good at it all.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 21, 2020, 05:47:20 PM
What am I missing on Tesla?  Is everyone just bored to death due to Covid, and is trying to set the Guiness world record for the biggest tulip bubble?

No idea but at this stage it is the next Bitcoin. Utter madness.

There is even a copycat stock out there called Nikola I shit you not, they claim to be working on an electric truck. I saw something mentioned on the aforementioned Discord that some people on twitter went to their factory address and made photos and it is basically a remote farm.

Admiral Yi

Massive data advantage in driverless, five years ahead in battery tech, world trending EV, factories in China (massive market) and Germany, upside potential of semi and pickup markets.  Way upstream Tonto and I were talking about the chick from Ark Investments who has a base case of 7 grand for 2024.  No doubt there is a huge amount of fanboism out there, but I think the bull case is legitimate.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2020, 05:58:28 PM

Massive data advantage in driverless, five years ahead in battery tech, world trending EV, factories in China (massive market) and Germany, upside potential of semi and pickup markets.  Way upstream Tonto and I were talking about the chick from Ark Investments who has a base case of 7 grand for 2024.  No doubt there is a huge amount of fanboism out there, but I think the bull case is legitimate.

Oh please that might explain a share price 10% of what it is now. Even people who pour their life savings into it do not pretend it makes any economic sense.

Tamas

Which reminds me, there was Bitcoin then Tesla. Do let me know if you spot what's the next tulip is going to be :p

Admiral Yi

We'd like to thank our global partners at Beet Holdings for their meticulous financial analysis.  :sleep:

10% of current price is probably explained by current profits.  90% is speculation on future earnings.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2020, 06:09:58 PM
We'd like to thank our global partners at Beet Holdings for their meticulous financial analysis.  :sleep:

10% of current price is probably explained by current profits.  90% is speculation on future earnings.
I'd say it's 10% explained by current profits, 10% explained by speculation on future earnings, 30% explained by speculation on speculation on future earnings, and 50% explained by speculation on speculation on speculation on future earnings.

DGuller

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 21, 2020, 06:16:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2020, 06:09:58 PM

I'd say it's 10% explained by current profits, 10% explained by speculation on future earnings, 30% explained by speculation on speculation on future earnings, and 50% explained by speculation on speculation on speculation on future earnings.

Looking up its financial statements, Tesla hasn't produced profits in the last 3 years (the only years I've checked). Last year it lost $862 million for its shareholders. In the first 6 months of this year, it has turned a profit of $120 million. I didn't check the current market cap based on today's stock price, but as a few days ago, it was $350 billion.

I think 10% explained by current profits may be a bit generous (which would be $35 billion). Hell, claiming it is profitable because it peaked its head above water for a part of a year seems rather generous.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

You're right.  Doubling that 120 million and using a PE of 25 I get 1.7% of current market cap.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2020, 02:10:53 AM
Still climbing in after hours.  :ph34r:

I think I'll drop a couple of shares if it hits $950.

Or not.  Shit.  I feel like I'm sitting on the bitcoin bubble.

And here we are 6 months later.  :P

Noticed that the stock value is now just about 10x it's 52-week low.

This feels a bit like that Jefferson quote about holding a wolf by the ears.

Josquius

So... This tech bubble.... Massive sign of a screwed up economy right? I all that money being traded back and forth between people over shares of a few firms rather than being invested into value making business....
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2020, 03:18:20 PM
So... This tech bubble.... Massive sign of a screwed up economy right? I all that money being traded back and forth between people over shares of a few firms rather than being invested into value making business....

Kind of, but probably not in the way you are thinking.

The ridiculously low yields on bank savings and bonds has definitely pushed people into equities.  On the other hand, the ridiculously low yields on bank lending and bonds means anyone who wants to borrow to finance the purchase of plant and equipment can do so very easily.