Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

FYI stay well clear of Intel and Silver positions as I've put money in both. :P

crazy canuck

You figure Intel has gotten as bad as they can get? 

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 10, 2020, 03:26:59 PM
You figure Intel has gotten as bad as they can get?

Yes more or less. Today was a negative day for many tech firms but not them. That swung me over the fence. It is important to note though that I am terrible at judging this stuff.

DGuller

My impression is that Intel is suffering from a sclerotic corporate culture.  Once this affliction sets in, it can be very difficult to root out, and usually decades of subpar performance follow.  That said, what matters in picking stocks is not your evaluation, but rather how much your evaluation is already priced in.

Tonitrus

DGuller

What is everyone thought process about buying a property in the big city?  For the first time in a long time, I'm more than passingly entertaining that option, but I'm wondering how much of a gamble it is.  Will big cities ever be coming back to the way they were before Covid?  Or is WFH going to destroy the real estate prices in big cities for decades to com?  Why would you live in a super expensive shoebox if you don't even need to be physically close to your workplace?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2020, 04:47:26 PM
What is everyone thought process about buying a property in the big city?  For the first time in a long time, I'm more than passingly entertaining that option, but I'm wondering how much of a gamble it is.  Will big cities ever be coming back to the way they were before Covid?  Or is WFH going to destroy the real estate prices in big cities for decades to com?  Why would you live in a super expensive shoebox if you don't even need to be physically close to your workplace?

Have prices even really come down?

I read a market analysis yesterday that looked at about 15 cities and broke down where employees lived--their thesis was that housing in cities and zip codes with a lot of service industry, certain manufacturing, and transportation related employees would get hurt, while others would endure. NYC seemed reasonably immune (though there were a few areas that were exposed), and places like Las Vegas and Detroit were generally in trouble.

I'm not sure how valid that is--who wants to live in NYC right now?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2020, 04:47:26 PM

foreclosures here are going up even with all the mortgage deferrals and COVID federal payments.  The US big cities will likely experience the same thing and probably worse given the failure to provide ongoing aid.  Not sure what the trend on overall prices is going to be, but there are probably going to be a number of foreclosure sales where the prices are tempting.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2020, 06:18:07 PM
Have prices even really come down?
Where I live, it feels like the prices are coming down.  A lot of condos that are on the market seem to be slashing the asking prices dramatically.  That coupled with ridiculously low mortgage rates makes it more affordable than ever.

Tamas

I was looking around recently for a sort of usable online community as source of news/ideas/etc as I have lost my patience waiting for a second dip (which means it is probably imminent).

The search has made me realise that all the Bitcoin Bros have moved into Tesla and the other skyrocketing tech stocks. I am seeing the same kind of "lol memes kind and sensitive person yolo" attitude people gathering for reassurance as the ones I have glimpsed during the Bitcoin craze.

I mean, there is for eampe the "wallstreetbets" Reddit community. It has over 1 million members. The "stocks" community that tries to stay more grounded has less than half of that.

It is full of such noob youngsters that it is painful sometimes. They are so leveraged up their asses, they are getting nervous breakdowns from a 0.5% move the wrong way. And they are frenzying each other into one reckless trade after the other, mostly using options. They seem to think if they can convince each other not to sell something it will buoy the price.

I also was looking around at Discord. There I found a slightly less crazy group "unusua whales" where they have a script post big option trades (what they consider possible insider trading) so it's less of a Bro Culture fueled gambling fest at least in theory, but in practice it is close. There, I could see the same nicknames risking thousands of dollars per trade, and chatting about how they are looking forward to finish high school and go into uni.

It's effin' crazy.

In other news, I remembered how volatile Silver is and got out with barely any losses. :P I'll leave that to these kids.

Instead I have decided to follow up on my "no more crashes" commitment and bought American Airlines. It won't go anywhere for a year I guess but I don't think we are done air travelling.

Hamilcar

r/wallstreetbets is for entertainment purposes only

There are some good analysts/fund managers on twitter worth following.

Tonitrus

Tamas

So basically Tesla has become a safety asset? If people have no better idea they just pump their daily moneys into it?

Josquius

Last night I was out with a friend who is really into stocks and he reckoned buying tesla was the smart thing to do as it'll be the biggest company in the world by 2024.

All seems very speculative.

Thinking to open an actual money account on trading 212 or some other app that I can't remember the name of. See if I can figure out how this stuff works

Banks look to be a good short term investment. Barclays and bank of Montreal are pretty low now, they've a lot of ground to regain....
██████
██████
██████