Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yeah, my investments have been doing well enough that my retirement calculator now declares that I can retire at 66 rather than 67. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Camerus

Yeah, in spite of the earlier dip, my wife and are still moving closer to our goal of early retirement.  :mono:

Hamilcar

I still think my best performing asset are the shares in my own tech startup.  :bowler:

Tamas

Do you recon there will be a general correction before the eternal run upwards resumes, or it is just now up all the time, every time?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tamas on August 03, 2020, 05:15:20 PM
Do you recon there will be a general correction before the eternal run upwards resumes, or it is just now up all the time, every time?

Define correction.

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2020, 08:01:05 AM
And they reported a profit for Apr-Jun quarter.  :sleep:

Also...the Cybertruck will be built in a new factory in Valmy's backyard.  Musk bless Texas.  :P

My friend, Erik, is on the list for one of those. :yuk:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2020, 03:23:28 PM
My friend, Erik, is on the list for one of those. :yuk:

It just doesn't look like a truck does it? I mean even if it is better at being a truck than a current truck often people just want a truck for the aesthetics, not because they always want to be the person their friends call when they are moving.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

He needs a truck for his hobbies, and wants a self-driving car. So this is perfect for him. And I think he actually likes the way it looks, though I have no idea how/why. I think it's because he appreciates that it's all angles so easier/faster/cheaper to produce than modern cars/trucks? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

I like the looks of Rivian's EV pickup, and Nikola's as well.  But, they're both yet-to-tested EV companies.  Tesla at least has credibility.

But Tesla is really becoming like the Microsoft (Windows) of EVs.  I think their real genius has been their lean-in on the charging infrastructure.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 11:17:47 PM
So it was with trepidation that I opened the statement on my 401k expecting to have taken a bath over the past three months (April-June) but instead I see it went up in value by over 15%  :blink:

Maybe it was all invested in mask and ventilator manufacturers  :hmm:

That is great news.  I had the opposite happen.  Gains not as large as I expected given that I nailed the timing to move back in (dumb luck) but my broker is pretty defensive in his strategy.   I kind of wish I had instructed him to be more aggressive but I am not psychologically built that way for investing.

Tamas

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 04, 2020, 02:48:21 PM

Define correction.

IDK, I guess, going back to April levels?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2020, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 11:17:47 PM
So it was with trepidation that I opened the statement on my 401k expecting to have taken a bath over the past three months (April-June) but instead I see it went up in value by over 15%  :blink:

Maybe it was all invested in mask and ventilator manufacturers  :hmm:

That is great news.  I had the opposite happen.  Gains not as large as I expected given that I nailed the timing to move back in (dumb luck) but my broker is pretty defensive in his strategy.   I kind of wish I had instructed him to be more aggressive but I am not psychologically built that way for investing.

My workplace pension fund from my previous employer is in a high risk fund. The annual report was just after the crash and it lost like 10% IIRC but when I checked on it last week it was all back and some. Virtual money printing sure works. I am thinking I am going to leave this account separate and high risk, and use my freshly accumulating newest workplace pension account as medium risk.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2020, 02:38:14 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 04, 2020, 02:48:21 PM

Define correction.

IDK, I guess, going back to April levels?

Outside of an external distruptor like Corona, essentially nil.

crazy canuck

And since the world is experiencing an external distruptor like Corona what does your crystal ball say?

Hamilcar

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2020, 09:18:40 AM
And since the world is experiencing an external distruptor like Corona what does your crystal ball say?

My prior on them is flat.