Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

I'm so ridiculously bullish on equities medium to long term. Do not fight the Fed.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Tonitrus

And they reported a profit for Apr-Jun quarter.  :sleep:

Also...the Cybertruck will be built in a new factory in Valmy's backyard.  Musk bless Texas.  :P

Valmy

I am glad to see our city continue to embrace new technology.

Though Texans don't just love trucks they love how trucks look, so I don't know if they are going to warm up to Tesla's weird non-truck looking truck. But we'll see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 11:49:58 AM
I am glad to see our city continue to embrace new technology.

Though Texans don't just love trucks they love how trucks look, so I don't know if they are going to warm up to Tesla's weird non-truck looking truck. But we'll see.

Musk is the new Steve Jobs. It doesn't matter what he does, if he does it people will pour money into it because why not.

Valmy

Musk is a genius. I do like that Steve Jobs comparison because they both kind of suck as people but damn you are glad they are around doing what they do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:52:58 PM
Musk is a genius. I do like that Steve Jobs comparison because they both kind of suck as people but damn you are glad they are around doing what they do.

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

TBF he is much more useful than Jobs. Jobs was a great mix of designer, sales person, and religious leader but it didn't seem to care for much than his own good.

Musk at least using his similar qualities for the common goods of space enterprise and electric cars.

Tamas

BTW since I guess this is the closest to a general economics/finances thread we have:

We discussed in the past how there's no inflation to speak of, I remember even the Economist had a long study on it some months ago and how this seems to go against established models.

Isn't it just, though, that instead of consumer goods inflation, we have asset price inflation? Seems like all the free money since various QE programs begun (and trickled down to the masses via low interest rates) have poured into housing and stocks.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2020, 02:18:38 PM
Isn't it just, though, that instead of consumer goods inflation, we have asset price inflation? Seems like all the free money since various QE programs begun (and trickled down to the masses via low interest rates) have poured into housing and stocks.
That's my theory, inflation is showing up as the asset bubbles, which is exacerbated by increased concentration of wealth.

Camerus

Yes, QE + the low interest rates that accompany it (thus encouraging borrowing to invest and discouraging investing in bonds) has significantly inflated asset prices for those wealthy enough to already own meaningful amounts, thus further contributing to inequality.

Valmy

So it was with trepidation that I opened the statement on my 401k expecting to have taken a bath over the past three months (April-June) but instead I see it went up in value by over 15%  :blink:

Maybe it was all invested in mask and ventilator manufacturers  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 11:17:47 PM
So it was with trepidation that I opened the statement on my 401k expecting to have taken a bath over the past three months (April-June) but instead I see it went up in value by over 15%  :blink:

Since 2008 the stock market only reacts to the amount of money printed by the Fed not the state of the economy.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 11:17:47 PM

That 15% climb is up from the March trough, when people were panic selling to prepare for the end of the world.