Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2020, 10:34:55 AM
It is, but depending on the policy, it may be over 20 years or more. With inflation and even modest growth in the business, it doesn't even out. Microsoft takes 100% of the hit today; Ford is still taking some of it a couple decades from now.

So, are you saying if depreciation was not a thing, and Ford had to expense equipment purchases today, Ford would have a higher PE? :unsure:

Absolutely.

Why wouldn't it? Whether Ford depreciates equipment over 50 years, 20 years, 5 years, or immediately--that has no cash flow impact - it is just book accounting. It doesn't even impact taxes because tax depreciation is separate from book accounting (which is used to compute earnings). It shouldn't impact the valuation of the company in any way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2020, 10:56:28 AM
Absolutely.

Why wouldn't it? Whether Ford depreciates equipment over 50 years, 20 years, 5 years, or immediately--that has no cash flow impact - it is just book accounting. It doesn't even impact taxes because tax depreciation is separate from book accounting (which is used to compute earnings). It shouldn't impact the valuation of the company in any way.

Ford buys equipment for $100.  This equipment generates $20 in annual revenue for  the life of the machine.

Scenario A, Ford expenses the equipment in year one.  That year Ford has minus $80 in cash flow.  Every year after it has 20 positive cash flow.

Scenario B, Ford amortizes the equipment over 20 year, 5 depreciation/year.  "Earnings" are 15 /year.

You said if Ford expensed equpment, it would have a higher PE.  P has to stay the same, because its the same profit stream.  That means E has to be lower in scenario A.  E is in fact lower in year 1; it's negative.  But it's higher in the out years. 

So, I still don't see your point.  Explain to me, very simply, as you would to a young child or a golden retriever, how E is lower in scenario A.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 12:00:33 PM

Ford buys equipment for $100.  This equipment generates $20 in annual revenue for  the life of the machine.

Scenario A, Ford expenses the equipment in year one.  That year Ford has minus $80 in cash flow.  Every year after it has 20 positive cash flow.

Scenario B, Ford amortizes the equipment over 20 year, 5 depreciation/year.  "Earnings" are 15 /year.

You said if Ford expensed equpment, it would have a higher PE.  P has to stay the same, because its the same profit stream.  That means E has to be lower in scenario A.  E is in fact lower in year 1; it's negative.  But it's higher in the out years. 

So, I still don't see your point.  Explain to me, very simply, as you would to a young child or a golden retriever, how E is lower in scenario A.

Over a theoretical long term like you just laid out, where Ford just makes one purchase over 20 years, over a 20 year cycle it balances out. In reality there is inflation and business growth. The dollar value of the purchases in year 1 are greater than the preceding years.

I looked up the actual financial disclosures of Ford. I'm going to use 2018 (just because 2019 Ford was at breakeven).

Net Income for its shareholders (the E) was $3.7 billion.

Putting aside ford capital, capital spending was $7.7 billion and depreciation/amortization was $5.4 billion.

If you were to take your "expense it all day 1" perspective, there would be an additional $2.1 billion reduction to net income, and the E would go down from $3.7 billion to $1.6 billion. Whatever the PE was would more than double.

2018 wasn't an outlier--Ford disclosed 3 years, and for each year of 2017-2019 the capital spending exceeded depreciation/amortization by $2.0 - $2.3 billion each year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

A lot of action after hours on news Gilead Science might a cure for covid 19.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2020, 06:16:41 PM
A lot of action after hours on news Gilead Science might a cure for covid 19.

Which seems like irresponsible reporting based on what was released.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

QuoteGilead, in an emailed statement, said "the totality of the data need to be analyzed in order to draw any conclusions from the trial."

UChicago Medicine, also in an email, said "partial data from an ongoing clinical trial is by definition incomplete and should never be used to draw conclusions."

Seems like responsible reporting to me.  Your results may vary.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2020, 06:38:41 AM
QuoteGilead, in an emailed statement, said "the totality of the data need to be analyzed in order to draw any conclusions from the trial."

UChicago Medicine, also in an email, said "partial data from an ongoing clinical trial is by definition incomplete and should never be used to draw conclusions."

Seems like responsible reporting to me.  Your results may vary.

My link at least clarifies that near the front, yours does not.

Also, they quote saying no conclusions should be drawn and we get headlines about Gilead's drug showing effectiveness. It is misleading.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2020, 07:27:11 AM
I'm not really worried about stock. :P

.........and yet it is crucial if you want to make a really nice soup  :hmm:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"