Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Student loan payments frozen at 0% interest until late September. Yee-haw. Time to invest the payments instead?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Quote from: Habbaku on April 06, 2020, 06:56:29 PM
Student loan payments frozen at 0% interest until late September. Yee-haw. Time to invest the payments instead?

Hmmm, end of September, that is right before October.  Time to invest in pumpkins!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Camerus

I gotta feeling they're gonna peak right around January.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on April 06, 2020, 06:56:29 PM

What rate are you paying on your loans?

Habbaku

They're all pretty modest--~3.5-4.2%. I don't think it makes sense to pay those more quickly, especially with the potential for the loans all being wiped away by Congress.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

I'm expecting another dip, but otherwise am somewhat optimistic that we'll start the ready return to the top. It will probably take a couple years, though, and assumes this is more an economic panic than a recession/depression.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Always do, but I run fairly conservatively with my finances--IE, holding back way more than the general recommendation of 3 months worth of emergency expenses. I put a modest portion of my excess in when the mess started and am happy with how that did, and also played around a bit with TVIX when it was bouncing around 5-800.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I meant more in the sense of sitting on cash that you're going to leg in at some point in the future.

Habbaku

That's what I meant by holding on to too much excess, but was a little opaque on that. I keep a high level of emergency funds saved back in case of catastrophe, but am also willing to kick in a bit of it short term if I see a good buying opportunity like, say, a pandemic panic or a housing crash.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

I picked up some SDIV last week at a 17% yield.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers