Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 05:43:15 PM
Are you using some algorithm advisor that says Mr [insert customer name here] we recommend you buy the following stocks?

How do you come up with your lists?

BTW, Viacom nosedived today.  Don't listen to anything I say.

Whatever appears in my internet searches  :blush:

Admiral Yi

Monoriu

Admiral Yi

I looked up total return for dividend aristocrats vs broad market.

ProShares S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats ETF: 69% five year return.

SPDR S&P 500 ETF: 67% five year return.

Good on ya.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 06:25:26 PM
I looked up total return for dividend aristocrats vs broad market.

ProShares S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats ETF: 69% five year return.

SPDR S&P 500 ETF: 67% five year return.

Good on ya.

I don't aim to beat the market.  I am happy with market returns.  I am just very happy when I receive tens of letters in the mailbox telling me that I have received a dividend  :blush:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2020, 07:42:54 PM
I don't aim to beat the market.  I am happy with market returns.  I am just very happy when I receive tens of letters in the mailbox telling me that I have received a dividend  :blush:

Do they not have electronic delivery of documents in FishBallistan?  Save a couple trees why don't you, you greasy lowlife free rider.

And are you not automatically reinvesting those dividends?  You greasy lowlife dividend-spender.

Monoriu

Electronic - some banks have changed to electronic statements on a mandatory basis.  Other banks now charge a fee, about US$2.5 dollars a year if I don't switch to electronic.  I choose not to switch because I love getting piles of letters in the physical mailbox telling me that I have received dividends.  This is an indulgence of mine  :blush:

Reinvesting dividends - most companies don't offer that option here.  There is another problem unique to HK - there is this thing called lot size here.  For every company traded on the exchange, there is a preferred lot size.  Say GE's preferred lot size would be 100.  So everybody trades GE shares in multiples of 100.  If you want to trade 60 shares, you can, but those 60 shares will be traded at a discount/premium.  If I reinvest the dividends, I will get odd sized shares that are traded at a discount. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2020, 09:44:24 PM
Electronic - some banks have changed to electronic statements on a mandatory basis.  Other banks now charge a fee, about US$2.5 dollars a year if I don't switch to electronic.  I choose not to switch because I love getting piles of letters in the physical mailbox telling me that I have received dividends.  This is an indulgence of mine  :blush:

Bad, bad mono.  [gives mono electronic spanking]

QuoteReinvesting dividends - most companies don't offer that option here.  There is another problem unique to HK - there is this thing called lot size here.  For every company traded on the exchange, there is a preferred lot size.  Say GE's preferred lot size would be 100.  So everybody trades GE shares in multiples of 100.  If you want to trade 60 shares, you can, but those 60 shares will be traded at a discount/premium.  If I reinvest the dividends, I will get odd sized shares that are traded at a discount.

Yeah, I've never looked into whether the price paid on automatic reinvestment is a fair price or not.

Lot sized here mean a couple pennies difference in most cases.  Are the price differences big there?

Monoriu

Monoriu

Oh and I will stick to paper for as long as I can.  Hong Kong companies pay dividends at about the same time every year.  That mail box overflowing with 20 letters all telling me that they have paid me is...worth $2.5. 

Admiral Yi

THE CORONA VIRUS CORRECTION IS ON

Where's the bottom going to be?

Camerus

I predict we won't see bottom if and until we start seeing significant effects of supply chain disruption. Tomorrow could even rebound, even if only temporarily.

MadImmortalMan

Almost always at least a short rebound after a day like that.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Camerus on February 24, 2020, 03:58:51 PM
I predict we won't see bottom if and until we start seeing significant effects of supply chain disruption. Tomorrow could even rebound, even if only temporarily.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-coronavirus-is-pushing-italy-towards-its-fourth-recession-since-200/

subscriber only, but upshot is Italy could be the new Greece.