Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Anything else?  Any other boring, steady, big company that pays good dividend? 

Admiral Yi

I recently bought some Viacom (B shares).  Dude on CNBC said its programming (they own CBS) makes it merger bait in the streaming wars and they pay 2 and a halfish yield.

I also gave thought to buying GE as a recovery play.  They're digging out of a deep hole though and their dividend is like 0.33%.

Admiral Yi

Do you never buy more speculative stocks?  It's a lot of fun when they hit.  Lots of flashing lights and clanging bells.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 03:10:19 AM
Do you never buy more speculative stocks?  It's a lot of fun when they hit.  Lots of flashing lights and clanging bells.

Don't have time to follow all the lights. 

I have like 40 stocks, 7 bonds and 10 funds.

Admiral Yi

I don't see why you have to follow anything.  I'm not talking about day trading.  I'm talking about buying more risk.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 03:38:07 AM
I don't see why you have to follow anything.  I'm not talking about day trading.  I'm talking about buying more risk.

If I buy more risk, I then have to check the stocks very frequently, otherwise they may fall dramatically without me noticing. 

My goal is early retirement.  I want a portfolio that can largely replace my income.  So I just want securities that give me income. 

Admiral Yi

You can convert asset value to income when you retire.  Right now you just want to maximize appreciation + yield. 

Of course speculative stocks can crater.  They can also recover from disaster, and they can skyrocket.  You buy several so you're diversified.  Think like a venture capitalist.

And it's not like chug chug chug value stocks can't crater.  GE did.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 04:02:54 AM
You can convert asset value to income when you retire.  Right now you just want to maximize appreciation + yield. 

Of course speculative stocks can crater.  They can also recover from disaster, and they can skyrocket.  You buy several so you're diversified.  Think like a venture capitalist.

And it's not like chug chug chug value stocks can't crater.  GE did.

I don't think I know enough about any speculative stocks to make a bet. 

Monoriu

Monoriu

Exxon Mobil Corp, Vanguard Russell 2000 ETF, Vanguard Growth ETF, Johnson and Johnson, Duke Energy, AT&T, Wells Fargo. 

Monoriu

Ok one more time.

QSR, British American Tobacco, Philip Morris, Verizon, Exxon Mobil Corp, Vanguard Russell 2000 ETF, Vanguard Growth ETF, Johnson and Johnson, AT&T, Wells Fargo.

Monoriu

OK I sat there for half an hour, pressed all the buttons and the deed is done.

Admiral Yi

You bought all those?

Morgan Stanley just acquired Etrade.  Wonder how I will be affected.

Thanks for the baby commercials. :cheers:

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2020, 05:10:23 PM
You bought all those?

Morgan Stanley just acquired Etrade.  Wonder how I will be affected.

Thanks for the baby commercials. :cheers:

Yeah I bought 10. 

Admiral Yi

Are you using some algorithm advisor that says Mr [insert customer name here] we recommend you buy the following stocks?

How do you come up with your lists?

BTW, Viacom nosedived today.  Don't listen to anything I say.