Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorClanker

Oh, the galaxy of investing options out there...

First off, Armanino Fine Foods of Distinction (AMNF) is a real gem of a small-cap.  It's below $3/share, pays around 3% in dividends, and is very well-run.  Nice little family business that makes meatballs and pesto.  I've had it for years, and it's a nice little penny stock.  Growth PLUS dividends?  Yes, please.  Plus, the kids aren't interested in running the company, so it's a possible buy-out candidate in the near to mid-term future.

Royal Nickel (RNKLF) up in Canada is a nickel AND gold miner - and they found a LOT of gold in an established nickel mine in Western Australia (the Beta Hunt mine).  It's bounced between 30ish and 80ish cents for the last few months, but they are quite likely to pop when the full seam gets explored.  There's a 4km seam down there, and plenty of gold to be mined.  Worth looking into, if you have some cash to spare.  Eric Sprott is on board, and has bought upwards of 10% of the shares... and he knows his mining business.

There's some others out there that I like, but I'll save them for later.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

Lot of big IPOs coming out this year.  Starting with Lyft today.  Uber, Airbnb.

Anyone piling in?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2019, 01:36:40 AM
Lot of big IPOs coming out this year.  Starting with Lyft today.  Uber, Airbnb.

Anyone piling in?

Nah.  The only one I am interested in is Saudi Aramco. 

Now that I think about it, I don't even think I have a way to participate in a US IPO.  I seriously doubt if my bank will allow me to subscribe. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2019, 01:44:15 AM
Now that I think about it, I don't even think I have a way to participate in a US IPO.  I seriously doubt if my bank will allow me to subscribe.

I don't either.  I'm talking about getting in post issue.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2019, 01:53:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2019, 01:44:15 AM

I don't either.  I'm talking about getting in post issue.

Really?  I have no idea how it works in the US.  But in Hong Kong, it is very common for ordinary folk to participate in an IPO.  They distribute forms in banks.  You line up, get one, fill in the form, and return it to the bank.  Then it depends.  If the IPO is under-subscribed, you get all the shares that you asked for.  If the IPO is over-subscribed, the underwriter decides what to do.  Most common method is to draw lots to determine who gets the right to buy the shares.  Some of the gigantic IPOs, e.g. state-owned mainland banks, have a policy of ensuring that everybody gets one lot (in HK, shares are traded in lots.  You have to buy 1000 shares of Company A, or you trade at a disadvantage). 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2019, 01:59:01 AM
Really?  I have no idea how it works in the US.  But in Hong Kong, it is very common for ordinary folk to participate in an IPO.  They distribute forms in banks.  You line up, get one, fill in the form, and return it to the bank.  Then it depends.  If the IPO is under-subscribed, you get all the shares that you asked for.  If the IPO is over-subscribed, the underwriter decides what to do.  Most common method is to draw lots to determine who gets the right to buy the shares.  Some of the gigantic IPOs, e.g. state-owned mainland banks, have a policy of ensuring that everybody gets one lot (in HK, shares are traded in lots.  You have to buy 1000 shares of Company A, or you trade at a disadvantage).

Well, I've heard it said many times that new shares get reserved for "valued clients" by brokerages.  The conventional wisdom is IPOs are a way for fat cat investors to get fatter.  And I've never read or heard anything to debunk that conventional wisdom.

I just did a quick spot check on IPOs on Etrade, and they say you need to fill out a form and get approval first.  Then you can put a conditional offer in if you have cash in your account.  I'm not going to bother.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2019, 02:08:27 AM

Well, I've heard it said many times that new shares get reserved for "valued clients" by brokerages.  The conventional wisdom is IPOs are a way for fat cat investors to get fatter.  And I've never read or heard anything to debunk that conventional wisdom.

I just did a quick spot check on IPOs on Etrade, and they say you need to fill out a form and get approval first.  Then you can put a conditional offer in if you have cash in your account.  I'm not going to bother.

The valued clients part is true here as well, particularly for small companies.  I don't bother with those.  But some of the IPOs are state-owned enterprises.  They exist not only to make a profit, but to ensure perpetual communist rule.  So they have an incentive to make sure that the little folks all own a tiny amount of the state-owned enterprises, and they make some profit in the deal.  It is almost like a government handout, so every adult in Hong Kong hands in a form. 

DGuller

Regular investors can get in on the IPO sometimes, it just depends on whether the stock is expected to tank after going public.

Habbaku

I'm looking forward to options contracts opening on Lyft.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 29, 2019, 11:09:18 AM
I'm looking forward to options contracts opening on Lyft.

Give the article in the NYTimes a read, most of the upside appears to be taken already by the private investors who are now taking it public.

Habbaku

That seems to be very likely to be the case, yes. I don't expect puts to come cheaply, but...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

And now it's cratering.

Did you ever buy those puts Seppuku, or did they stay hypothetical?

Habbaku

The puts were (rather predictably) priced excessively high for the potential return. With a breakeven somewhere around the low-$50s, I didn't feel confident enough buying.

Checking up, current reasonable breakeven is ~$40 mark, and I'm not convinced they'll actually lose 1/3rd their current value.

-J. R. R. Tolkien