Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

QuoteThat competition has forced Spotify to spend heavily on music licensing, to maintain a deep catalog of music boasting 35 million tracks , as well as on marketing and R&D. The spending has resulted in hefty and growing losses. In 2017, Spotify said it had a net loss of €1.2 billion ($1.5 billion USD), compared to a net loss of €539 million the year before.

Maybe not.

The Brain

The Internet will make everyone rich. It's not just a fad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Hey Abacus, got an options question for you.

I buy a call.  Stock price rises, I'm in the money.  I don't want the stock, so I sell the call to close out my position.

Does someone have to buy that call from me, or is it automatic?

Habbaku

If it's traded on the open market (I assume you have a broker? Or bought the option from an exchange?), then it's pretty much automatic, assuming I'm understanding your question correctly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Second options trade today, this time covered calls on Square.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2018, 08:43:14 PM
Second options trade today, this time covered calls on Square.

Price jumps 3 bucks today, call is way in the money, but counterparty doesn't call my shares.  Holding out for more upside?  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

And now he's out of the money.  Suck on it, you greedhead.

Market not very happy today.

Tamas

In typical fashion, I had my tiny stock account in modest green until recently. Now the FTSE 100 ETF is quite set in the red, while the Bank of England decision has also switched my Lloyds to red.

This kinda' matters a bit because in a month or two I'll need to close the account because they'll start charging inactivity fees :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 23, 2018, 06:30:27 PM
I dumped all stock in dollar store chains.

Do you mean you sold everything and put it all in stores for poors, or sold off everything you had in stores for poors?

Wish I could have gotten in on Dollar General.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

I know the general agreement is that a President has little to no effect on what happens with the economy overall, but unilaterally passing potentially globally disastrous tariffs makes this an exception to the rule, no?  Am I "insanely naive" to think such a thing? :mellow:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 23, 2018, 07:58:23 PM
I know the general agreement is that a President has little to no effect on what happens with the economy overall, but unilaterally passing potentially globally disastrous tariffs makes this an exception to the rule, no?  Am I "insanely naive" to think such a thing? :mellow:

You are correct
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point