Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

It seems odd that the market isn't up post trump considering the generous benefits tax reform bestowed upon corporate america. We are at roughly Dow 25000. We aren't too far away in percentage terms from that infamous benchmark Dow 36000.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2018, 03:54:02 PM
It seems odd that the market isn't up post trump considering the generous benefits tax reform bestowed upon corporate america. We are at roughly Dow 25000. We aren't too far away in percentage terms from that infamous benchmark Dow 36000.

As I understand the reasonable people explain this with anticipated higher inflation and rising interest rates.

I think it was as good a day as any to take profits and scare people so they could buy shit on the low.

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2018, 04:34:43 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2018, 03:54:02 PM

As I understand the reasonable people explain this with anticipated higher inflation and rising interest rates.

I think it was as good a day as any to take profits and scare people so they could buy shit on the low.

Tamas, higher interest rates will cause a decline in the stock market, all else being equal. But higher inflation should cause markets to go higher absent a change in interest rates.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2018, 09:40:26 AM
LOWEST SINCE NOVEMBER LAST YEAR?! EXTRAORDINARY!

:lol:

MY STOCKS LOST 1/200th OF THEIR VALUE!

Time for a panic. Everybody sell all their shit at once.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

"In the "old days," when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!"

Can someone verify that this is how the market responds now?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2018, 12:14:39 PM
"In the "old days," when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!"

That is an incredibly idiotic statement. I presume the President tweeted this out?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2018, 12:20:12 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2018, 12:14:39 PM

That is an incredibly idiotic statement. I presume the President tweeted this out?

:yes:

Like all good writers before him he has a distinct style.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

The Minsky Moment

There isn't much evidence of inflationary risk (yet), but rates are tightening.  The Fed didn't have great things to say about the tax package - their perception of fiscal laxity + decent growth fundamentals --> tight policy bias. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

DOW 2,400?

That would essentially be a market apocalypse.

Admiral Yi

The Dow is a stupid index and I never pay attention to it.