Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Starting to get a little antsy about this perky market. I'm thinking if that profit repatriation (partial?) amnesty doesn't materialize we're fooked.

Richard Hakluyt

It has been very subdued on the FTSE-100 compared to the NYSE. Taking a 5-year horizon it is only +20% compared to +60%. Plus £ has fallen against the $  :hmm:

Monoriu

Long Live the Federal Reserve!  YES to interest rate hikes!!!!1111 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on March 15, 2017, 07:48:00 PM

Easy. If your erection lasts more than four hours, see a doctor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Quote from: Monoriu on March 15, 2017, 07:48:00 PM

The market has been very happy about interest rate increases!  The Fed has remarkably been a stabilizing force, or should I move more towards cash?

:hmm:

Admiral Yi

All my foreign ETFs that got pounded by the strong dollar (and various fuckups) have been doing rather well under the Trumpenreich.  Almost out of the red.  Can't understand it.  Fed has raised rates, said they will raise more, which will strengthen dollar.  Threat of trade wars should hurt.

Any ideas?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2017, 02:33:18 PM
All my foreign ETFs that got pounded by the strong dollar (and various fuckups) have been doing rather well under the Trumpenreich.  Almost out of the red.  Can't understand it.  Fed has raised rates, said they will raise more, which will strengthen dollar.  Threat of trade wars should hurt.

Any ideas?

Irrational exuberance?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2017, 02:33:18 PM

Any ideas?

Bond and stock markets had been proceeding under contradictory assumptions - stocks had gone up on the assumption of a successful growth agenda, but bonds yields kept low despite Fed action on the assumption that the economy continued to face significant risks.  Right now it looks like those contradictions are being resolved in favor of the bond bulls, with the stock market rally faltering.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus