And we're back!

Main Menu

Employment among foreign-born in Sweden

Started by Slargos, December 19, 2009, 08:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on December 20, 2009, 06:51:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2009, 06:49:36 AM
Keep your Chinese blight out of Europe, kthxbye.

Oh yeah they're willing to work for crap wages and inhuman hours too  :P

I can vouch for that. On my street there's a small shop where dozens are stuffed for hours on end with virtually no ventilation (must be awesome during our 35+ º C summers).

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on December 20, 2009, 07:06:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 20, 2009, 06:51:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2009, 06:49:36 AM
Keep your Chinese blight out of Europe, kthxbye.

Oh yeah they're willing to work for crap wages and inhuman hours too  :P

I can vouch for that. On my street there's a small shop where dozens are stuffed for hours on end with virtually no ventilation (must be awesome during our 35+ º C summers).

How much are they?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: Monoriu on December 20, 2009, 06:49:02 AM
Why are you taking in Iraqis and Somalis?  There are probably millions of hardworking, law-abiding, and skilled Chinese workers who will do anything for a chance to live and work in Sweden.

An excellent question.

I can only speculate as to the answer, and I know better than to speculate here.

There are, in fact, plenty of well adjusted immigrants in Sweden, and it would certainly be better to give them the opportunity than to import another batch of a few tens of thousands of completely worthless somalis.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2009, 06:33:25 AM

This really depends on how "employment" in general is statistically accounted for, e.g. for the purpose of unemployment benefits and statistics. This would be a cause for outrage only if methodologies in both cases were completely different.

This is an internal report, and as such doesn't have to follow EU regulations on how these statistics are gathered.

Sweden did get a reprimand for trimming the data when unemployment figures were reported to the EU.

Josquius

:lmfao:
Hilarious how you're painting this as the immigrant's fault.
I recommend you go over to http://www.thelocal.se/ sometime and check out the forum there. You have a bunch of Brits, Americans, etc... who've moved to Sweden for some reason or other (usually a woman/man) and a recurring topic of conversation there is the horrendous job situation for foreigners in Sweden.
You get people with masters degrees who can't even get a job scrubbing toilets.
Immigrants want to work. Swedish unemployment rates are too fucked up for everyone though so priority goes to the Swedes. There really is a massive bias towards Swedes, it goes beyond even them just being the ones who will speak the language best, there've been studies that show applying for a job with a foreign sounding name gets you less replies than as Johan Svenson.

Over the past year and a half I'd have killed for a job in Sweden. Nothing going though.
Mono's law abiding Chinese are particularly in the crap due to the job situation. They come over in droves to leech off the education system (free uni ftw) expecting to be able to get a crappy little job somewhere to support themselves as students can anywhere else....nope.
They end up living 3 to a small student room scavenging for cans and struggling to find enough öre to meet the rent at the end of the month. They end up working in the nations for 10 euros max for a 8 hour shift. True its their fault for not checking things were so bad first but still; ouch.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

So the fact that twice as many Yugos have jobs as Somalis is all the fault of the racist swedish system.

The point isn't necessarily that the darkies are lazy ne'erdowells (though plenty of them are) it's that the immigration craze is heralded as a necessity in order to secure enough manpower for jobs that don't exist.

The Brain

The nuclear industry needs lots and lots of people. Few Somalis seem to work at the Swedish nuclear sites though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

QuoteThe nuclear industry needs lots and lots of people. Few Somalis seem to work at the Swedish nuclear sites though.
That pretty much seems to be the only way to get a job here- have some very specific, very high end skill....Of the sort which would yet you walk into a better job anywhere else in the developed world.

Quote from: Slargos on December 20, 2009, 09:02:19 AM
So the fact that twice as many Yugos have jobs as Somalis is all the fault of the racist swedish system.

The point isn't necessarily that the darkies are lazy ne'erdowells (though plenty of them are) it's that the immigration craze is heralded as a necessity in order to secure enough manpower for jobs that don't exist.
They've been here longer.
Compare Yugos to Chileans (thats who it was who came in the 70s right?...something latin american anyway) and the numbers would likely be against them.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on December 20, 2009, 09:03:45 AM
The nuclear industry needs lots and lots of people. Few Somalis seem to work at the Swedish nuclear sites though.

Sweden should export more nuclear energy to the Middle East. Preferably transported by warheads.

DisturbedPervert

Somehow I doubt the problem with Somalis compared to Yugos and Chinks is too many masters degrees

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on December 20, 2009, 08:03:38 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 20, 2009, 06:49:02 AM
Why are you taking in Iraqis and Somalis?  There are probably millions of hardworking, law-abiding, and skilled Chinese workers who will do anything for a chance to live and work in Sweden.

An excellent question.

I can only speculate as to the answer, and I know better than to speculate here.

There are, in fact, plenty of well adjusted immigrants in Sweden, and it would certainly be better to give them the opportunity than to import another batch of a few tens of thousands of completely worthless somalis.

I saw Vancouver was listed third in the world after Zürich and Geneva in one of these "nice cities"-rankings. And apparently a majority of Vancouvers population is born outside Canada (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong). Which shows you can get immigration to work very well, even in the first generation, as long as you take in the right immigrants.

Pat

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2009, 08:39:32 AM
:lmfao:
Hilarious how you're painting this as the immigrant's fault.
I recommend you go over to http://www.thelocal.se/ sometime and check out the forum there. You have a bunch of Brits, Americans, etc... who've moved to Sweden for some reason or other (usually a woman/man) and a recurring topic of conversation there is the horrendous job situation for foreigners in Sweden.
You get people with masters degrees who can't even get a job scrubbing toilets.
Immigrants want to work. Swedish unemployment rates are too fucked up for everyone though so priority goes to the Swedes. There really is a massive bias towards Swedes, it goes beyond even them just being the ones who will speak the language best, there've been studies that show applying for a job with a foreign sounding name gets you less replies than as Johan Svenson.

Over the past year and a half I'd have killed for a job in Sweden. Nothing going though.
Mono's law abiding Chinese are particularly in the crap due to the job situation. They come over in droves to leech off the education system (free uni ftw) expecting to be able to get a crappy little job somewhere to support themselves as students can anywhere else....nope.
They end up living 3 to a small student room scavenging for cans and struggling to find enough öre to meet the rent at the end of the month. They end up working in the nations for 10 euros max for a 8 hour shift. True its their fault for not checking things were so bad first but still; ouch.

Well you also have people at The Local who say they don't see any reason to learn the language because all Swedes know english anyway. Well, we might know good English but it's still our second language and we don't master it nearly as well as our mother tongue. Unless the daily dealings at the place of work are conducted in english you're going to be severely disadvantaged if you don't speak the language. Because you can not expect the langauge of daily dealings to be changed or people translating everything for you all the time.

I don't know where you're getting this "massive bias towards Swedes" from - that's simply not true. If you speak the language and you have an anglophone name, you're not going to be biased against. Quite the opposite, I think; people would see a native english speaker as an asset. Swedes are always careful when employing, even when employing other Swedes. It's a consequence of our rigorous labour laws. Employers have many obligations towards their employees, and it is difficult to fire people without good cause. Very few jobs are filled through the employment agency. Most employers are going to look to their extended network of friends, friends of friends and relatives to fill the position with someone they know they can trust. Only if they can't find anyone this way, they'll go to the open work market, and if you don't speak the language, you're going to be competing at a disadvantage.

But if you speak the language, there's no reason why you'd be biased against.

Josquius

Quote from: Pat on December 20, 2009, 10:07:02 AM
Well you also have people at The Local who say they don't see any reason to learn the language because all Swedes know english anyway. Well, we might know good English but it's still our second language and we don't master it nearly as well as our mother tongue. Unless the daily dealings at the place of work are conducted in english you're going to be severely disadvantaged if you don't speak the language. Because you can not expect the langauge of daily dealings to be changed or people translating everything for you all the time.
That is one thread which has a lot of discussion right now started by one Norwegian guy. And a lot of the replies are people slamming him.
You far more often see people moaning about their lessons going badly and how they really wish they could speak Swedish.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2009, 10:15:23 AM
That is one thread which has a lot of discussion right now started by one Norwegian guy. And a lot of the replies are people slamming him.
You far more often see people moaning about their lessons going badly and how they really wish they could speak Swedish.

I know, Slargos lived in Norway for about 4 years and managed to not learn the language.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on December 20, 2009, 10:22:15 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2009, 10:15:23 AM

I know, Slargos lived in Norway for about 4 years and managed to not learn the language.

If you count my on-again-off-again tours, it's actually closer to 7.

And I did learn it, just not very well.  :P