News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Hong Kong?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, December 20, 2009, 02:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2009, 01:13:40 AM
The best egg custard tart in HK (and a favourite of Chris Patton, the last governor of HK) is this -

http://www.taicheongbakery.com/tc/
When I go to Hong Kong I'll visit there.  To be honest my entire trip to Hong Kong is planned around food :blush:

QuoteDon't know what you mean by fried char sui :unsure:

Not the steamed buns.

QuoteAnts on a tree trunk is not really noodle, strictly speaking.  It is more like vermicelli that is made from peas.  I like tan tan noodle better - egg noddle in spicy sauce.
I had the ants on a tree trunk at a Sichuanese restaurant in London (the name won me over), so next time I'll try the tan tan noodle :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

The best char siu bun can be found here -

http://www.fooklammoon-grp.com/en/home.htm

Their char siu bun is deliberately never placed in their menu.  It is considered a special treat that only regular customers will know to order.  Fook lam moon is one of the most expensive places in HK, and their dim sum is like US$6.5 each.  I always see a huge Maybach car owned by one of the tycoons parked just outside the restaurant (with 3-5 bodyguards waiting) when I go there.  IMHO, they have the best shark's fin soup in HK hands down. 

"Fook" means fortune.  "Lam Moon" means coming to your door.  30 years ago they were not a restaurant, but a caterer who does parties and big dinner at people's homes.  My grandmother was one of their first customers.

Monoriu

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Hong_Kong/Restaurants-Hong_Kong-Sweet_Dynasty-BR-1.html

This is a very popular Chinese dessert house.  They also offer dim sum (which is not great but okish).  The dessert is good though, and the variety is mind boggling.  For some reason Japanese tourists love it.  Not expensive at all, and you can have breakfast or lunch here.  A bonus is that it is located just across the street of Habour City, the largest mall in Hong Kong.

Oh I forget one very, very important thing.  In HK, you don't need to tip the waiters at all.  10% service charge is almost always added to you bill, and you just need to pay the billed amount. 

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on December 20, 2009, 06:45:16 AM
1. The Peak, for an excellent view of the harbour (weather permitting).  This is almost a must see, and is basically free.
Went up there one night when Berkeley was in harbor, and the weather was very nice, and... wow.  That's a sight I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Kinda curious: is Ned Kelly's Last Stand still around?  It was a terrific Aussie bar in Kowloon, where you could go and see Aussies in the wild, behaving like Aussies do when they think no one else is around.  Literally punching each other full-force in the jaw, and then laughing at it and drinking another "beah" (though not with their right hands, which were bruised and skinned to an extent they thought hilarious).   

If the bar is still there, I think it well worth a visit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2009, 02:40:15 AM
1. The Peak, for an excellent view of the harbour (weather permitting).  This is almost a must see, and is basically free.
Went up there one night when Berkeley was in harbor, and the weather was very nice, and... wow.  That's a sight I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Kinda curious: is Ned Kelly's Last Stand still around?  It was a terrific Aussie bar in Kowloon, where you could go and see Aussies in the wild, behaving like Aussies do when they think no one else is around.  Literally punching each other full-force in the jaw, and then laughing at it and drinking another "beah" (though not with their right hands, which were bruised and skinned to an extent they thought hilarious).   

This is not the first time you mention that place, so I did take a look when I went to Ashley road.  The last time I went there, which was about a year ago, it was still there. 

There is a very good Japanese restaurant just across the street (which is the reason why I go there). 

Zanza

Mono, do you have a site for cheap flights in SE Asia?

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2009, 06:17:05 AM
Mono, do you have a site for cheap flights in SE Asia?

I don't.  My wife takes care of these things  :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2009, 02:40:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19lgGjTb4Q&feature=related

Apperently.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I almost never go to bars.  So no comment on bars  :lol: