News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shatner too fat for Star Trek

Started by DontSayBanana, April 01, 2009, 08:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

:lol: This causes me much mirth. Anyway, for anybody who's actually interested in this upcoming piece of crap, the interview's at ex-astris-scientia, and that prima donna gets pissy whenever you hotlink, so you lazy gits can find it yourselves. ;)

QuoteOS: You won't see too much of him. It amounts to a couple of minutes on two occasions in the movie. But you may not immediately recognize him the first time.
EAS: Is he wearing prosthetics or something?
OS
: Not exactly. It's a bit tricky to explain. Uhm... No offense to Mr Shatner. I mean, he is in great shape for his age. But... he just didn't look good in his Starfleet uniform.
EAS:
You mean, he was too fat?
OS
: Those are your words. I won't take the blame. ;-) But you're right in essence. When the 'younger April' scenes had already been shot, Lisa Rontoriou, one of our editors, came to JJ [Abrams] with the suggestion to have him 'thinned' digitally.
Experience bij!

Neil

No shit.  He's been slowly swelling up ever since the Wrath of Khan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Makes me think of the Simpsons.

Star Trex XII "So Very, Very Tired" :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

I cannae reach the controls, captain!
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 09:00:09 PM
No shit.  He's been slowly swelling up ever since the Wrath of Khan.
Yeah. On a related note, after actually getting all the way through that interview, I recommend any Trek fans here read it. A quick summary is that either JJ Abrams or this guy is pulling a fake-out marketing campaign.

According to Olaf Sporil, postproduction completely redid the VFX for the movie... for this market. What was showing up as a trailer here is supposed to only be the product shown in Latin America, Russia, eastern Germany, and most of the Africas ("Fans with considerably lower income or with high debts prefer the Church Enterprise").

Reading between the lines, VFX heard that their new "Swoosh" Enterprise didn't go over too well with the die-hard fans, and at the last minute, they dropped it in favor of Gabe Körner's concept, which had initially been mistaken for the new design.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

How different are the two versions? That sounds really expensive.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Hasn't it already been established what the Enterprise looks like?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2009, 09:33:57 PM
How different are the two versions? That sounds really expensive.
@Tim: Pretty widely disparate. Google "Ryan Church Enterprise," and then google "Gabe Koerner Enterprise." The Church model looks like they shopped the design out to Mattel.

@Neil: Yes, we have. Unfortunately, this movie is going to be the nerd's bane: a retcon. I'm torn whether I'm looking forward to it or dreading it. I'll play it safe and say that nothing that gets Bernd Schneider that upset can be all bad.
Experience bij!

FunkMonk

I like fat Kirk better than young Kirk.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grinning_Colossus

So

vs.

?

I don't see that much of a difference. Part of one glows blue, part of the other glows orange.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Berkut

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2009, 10:43:34 PM

I don't, and I haven't even seen Young Kirk yet.

I have loved Star Trek since I was about 7, but I've never liked Kirk or Shatner.

Oddly enough, I like Shatner now though - he is brilliant in Boston Legal. Or was brilliant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2009, 10:47:00 PM

I have loved Star Trek since I was about 7, but I've never liked Kirk or Shatner.

Oddly enough, I like Shatner now though - he is brilliant in Boston Legal. Or was brilliant.

By young Kirk I mean TOS Kirk.

But yeah, he was brilliant on that show.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2009, 10:48:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2009, 10:47:00 PM

By young Kirk I mean TOS Kirk.

But yeah, he was brilliant on that show.

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought you meant this movie young Kirk.

Definitely agree then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

vinraith

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 01, 2009, 10:46:56 PM
I don't see that much of a difference. Part of one glows blue, part of the other glows orange.

The second one's warp nacelles are less goofy looking, but I don't see how the difference remotely warrants two different sets of special effects. Anyone so sensitive to a retcon as to object to either version of the Enterprise isn't going to get within ten miles of a movie with the unmitigated gall to recast the original cast anyway.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: vinraith on April 01, 2009, 11:25:20 PMAnyone so sensitive to a retcon as to object to either version of the Enterprise isn't going to get within ten miles of a movie with the unmitigated gall to recast the original cast anyway.

You must've been down the hall from my office when I pronounced this film as raping my childhood yesterday.