And we're back!

Main Menu

Climategate thread

Started by Tamas, December 18, 2009, 05:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2009, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2009, 11:08:17 AM
Hmm... maybe they can use small electric powered heaters in the lights.    ;)

I've heard this mentioned, but it'd be hilarious if the heaters used more power than the original bulbs would have in the first place :)

But I'm sure there's a design/coating solution to the problem.
Maybe small nuclear reactors on each street corner that has these lights.  :)

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2009, 05:28:01 AM
Edit:  Incidentally I agree with Nick Cohen that we shouldn't use the word 'sceptic' to describe climate change dissenters, I suppose.  Scepticism's a noble tradition and one of the origins of scientific inquiry.  It seems to me insane that it's now a title we give people who object to the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community and to my understanding the only internally coherent explanation for climate change.

Yes, by all means be more condescending.  That's what your side needs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2009, 11:00:52 AM
I also hate those new lightbulbs. Weak, yellow light.  :mad:

Really?  Mine burn with the light of a million energy efficient suns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Palisadoes

Cilmate change is too politicized now. If the politicians had stayed out they might have got their way a lot easier.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2009, 11:27:46 AM

I sometimes find my twisty lightbulbs to be too bright.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

The funny looking ones? the light is so sickly yellow, it makes me ill on some days.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2009, 11:41:12 AM
The funny looking ones? the light is so sickly yellow, it makes me ill on some days.

Yep the twisty ones.  I use them whenever I can...sometimes older light fixtures cannot fit them so I have to go old school.

I have only noticed the twisty ones are brighter but I have not noticed the...color of the light or whatever but you are not the only person to complain about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Soviet gulag look, coming back into style??   ;)

Ed Anger

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2009, 11:53:34 AM

Soviet gulag look, coming back into style??   ;)

More like 1970's hospital look.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2009, 11:40:37 AM

I sometimes find my twisty lightbulbs to be too bright.

We mostly use the IKEA ones that have the rubberized bulb covering.  Looks like the newer versions are starting to warm up faster.  But by the time they perfect them, affordable LED bulbs will be all the rage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2009, 11:20:41 AM
Yes, by all means be more condescending.  That's what your side needs.
I don't have a side in the debate.  I think I'd err to basically a British conservative position on this subject.  I think technological innovation and green consumerism will save us*, but that moving away from carbon energy would be good because oil hurts everyone involved (states with oil get fucked, states dependant on oil get cosy with horrid petrostates). 

But I don't see why doubting the preponderance of scientific evidence should be considered 'scepticism'.  In the same way as I think a lot of people who say they're sceptical about politics aren't.  They're cynical and there's a huge difference.

* Look up Boris Johnson and George Monbiot in the Guardian for a great example.
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2009, 12:20:49 PM
I think technological innovation and green consumerism will save us*

* Look up Boris Johnson and George Monbiot in the Guardian for a great example.

Tom Friedman from NYT is on the same bandwagon.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2009, 01:13:26 PM
Nonsense. :alberta:
:lol:  True.  The UK, Norway, US and Canada do fine.  I mean the developing world - where most of the oil is.
Let's bomb Russia!