Should a newspaper be considered an accessory in a blackmail case? (Read inside)

Started by Martinus, December 18, 2009, 03:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on December 18, 2009, 03:16:12 PM
What about weed? Speed? Ecstasy?

I haven't really been following legislation changes on this, since I never used drugs, but I think right now possession of everything is criminalized. I think possession of weed for personal use used to be not illegal, but they changed it when PiS was in power.

Iormlund

Isn't that a bit impractical? Our prisons would be crowded if that were the case. Not to mention the judicial system.

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 18, 2009, 02:59:05 PM
In America, they could be held as an accessory.  If any of the reporters or publishing staff are aware that the information's publication is being used as part of a crime, that employee is bound to report it to the authorities.  Doubly so if the publisher paid the blackmailer as an informant- the US Constitution holds that you can't profit from your own crime.

Where the hell did you come up with that?  There's no such prohibition in the Constitution (though there are statutory laws to that affect) and AFAIK, in most jurisdictions the only people with a legal obligation to report crimes to the authorities are those that are considered officers of the court.  And even if what you posted was accurate, that wouldn't prevent the them from reporting the blackmail to the police, and still publishing the pics.

Admiral Yi

Also, what kind of idiot blackmailers say we have this video of the PM with a carrot up his ass, we tried to blackmail him but he wouldn't pay so you can have it.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2009, 05:18:30 PM
Also, what kind of idiot blackmailers say we have this video of the PM with a carrot up his ass, we tried to blackmail him but he wouldn't pay so you can have it.
Sounds to me like the kind of blackmailers that were made up by an embarrassed politician.

Sounds to me more like these are hos who were promised more than he delivered, and avenged themselves upon their john by embarrassing him.  Bad professional ethics on their part, but they probably just claimed to be hos on some internet forum and in reality were nothing of the sort.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on December 18, 2009, 03:30:27 PM
Isn't that a bit impractical? Our prisons would be crowded if that were the case. Not to mention the judicial system.

I think enforcement is rather patchy, plus people who just posses drugs usually get "suspended" sentences. I reckon it makes it easier to order an obligatory therapy/detox though.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2009, 05:30:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2009, 05:18:30 PM
Sounds to me like the kind of blackmailers that were made up by an embarrassed politician.

Sounds to me more like these are hos who were promised more than he delivered, and avenged themselves upon their john by embarrassing him.  Bad professional ethics on their part, but they probably just claimed to be hos on some internet forum and in reality were nothing of the sort.

He already paid them once - this time they went to the media because he didn't want to pay again.