Scientists Crack Genetic Codes of 2 Cancers in Giant Step Forward

Started by KRonn, December 17, 2009, 12:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

This is good!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580441,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r4:c0.0

Scientists Crack Genetic Codes of 2 Cancers in Giant Step Forward

The complete genetic codes of two human cancers have been mapped for the first time. The move could herald a medical revolution in which every tumor can be targeted with personalized therapy.

The exhaustive genetic maps, which catalogue every DNA mutation found in two patients' tumors, will transform treatment of the disease. It has been described as the most significant milestone in cancer research in more than a decade.

Scientists predict that by about 2020 all cancer patients could have their tumors analyzed to find the genetic defects that drive them. This information would then be used to select the treatments most likely to work.

Insights from the genomes will also lead to the development of powerful drugs to target DNA errors that cause cancer and highlight ways in which the disease can be prevented. Cancers would be diagnosed and treated according to their genetic profiles rather than their position in the body.

"The pace at which genomics is moving is probably the most exciting thing that's gone on in cancer research in more than a decade," said Professor Sir John Bell, President of the Academy of Medical Sciences. "These cancer genome projects are a major landmark, as significant as the sequencing of the human genome itself."

Continue reading at the Times of London
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6959325.ece

Pat

With the average life span being 70-80 years already in western countries, one can only wonder how old people born today will live to be.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Pat on December 17, 2009, 12:55:34 PM
With the average life span being 70-80 years already in western countries, one can only wonder how old people born today will live to be.

Not only are people living longer but they are also living better at older ages.

to the OP this is great news!

DontSayBanana

This is definitely great news for me and my family; cancer is so overly present in my family history that I think I'm at like a 95% risk of cancer by age 60.
Experience bij!

Grallon

Beware - the Dementia Times of gene-tampering and nanotech splicing are a'coming.  :pope:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grallon on December 17, 2009, 01:48:27 PM
Beware - the Dementia Times of gene-tampering and nanotech splicing are a'coming.  :pope:

G.

I for one look forward to thwarting the purity of the project at Gattaca. :contract:
Experience bij!

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2009, 01:07:57 PM

Not only are people living longer but they are also living better at older ages.

to the OP this is great news!
Like George Burns used to say, I want to live to be 100 years old, because very few people die over the age of 100.   ;)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

It's alright.  Increased longevity will eventually destroy civilization.  Things will balance out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

I want to see 2100.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

I'm planning to live to a youthful 150.  GO MEDICAL SCIENCE! :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 17, 2009, 10:10:19 PM
Probably won't happen.  The state will have bankrupted itself applying longevity treatments to everyone long before you would reach 150.  And when that happens, your people will regress to barbarism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2009, 10:14:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 17, 2009, 10:10:19 PM
Probably won't happen.  The state will have bankrupted itself applying longevity treatments to everyone long before you would reach 150.  And when that happens, your people will regress to barbarism.
Depends on how the treatment works, if it's a one team gene therapy type thing then maybe not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 17, 2009, 08:55:52 PM

I want to see 2100.

That's my goal.  I'll be 125.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.