News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Opera etc

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, December 17, 2009, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

I decided to try Opera instead of firefox for my linux box. so far it seems way faster. facebook is sludge with ff. seems speedy on opera. only weird thing is the bookmarks from firefox won't import. it's like firefox is hiding my bookmarks. it only lets me import the default ubuntu /mozilla linkies it comes with.

annying. luckily since this is my stopgap system i haven't used much, it's not that big a deal to redo the important ones by hand.

I'm beginning to appreciate the linux thing, more as i use it. but i will need a new desktop sooner than later. hopefully by March I will be able to afford it.
:p

derspiess

I tried out Opera a few years ago.  There was something about the interface I didn't like, and it had a tendency to choke on two websites I frequented.  On top of that, using it made me think of pushy Opera fanboys who evangelized about a web browser.  So I uninstalled it after about 2 weeks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

BuddhaRhubarb

ya those are the reasons i never used it much a couuple of years ago also. but today it seems lickety split fast, and most importantly doesn't get sludgy on FB. (i think it's suited to linux more thanit was to my mac.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2009, 01:02:02 PM
I tried out Opera a few years ago.  There was something about the interface I didn't like, and it had a tendency to choke on two websites I frequented.  On top of that, using it made me think of pushy Opera fanboys who evangelized about a web browser.  So I uninstalled it after about 2 weeks.

What's with you and hating products because of the people who use it? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lucidor

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 17, 2009, 12:38:14 PM
I decided to try Opera instead of firefox for my linux box. so far it seems way faster. facebook is sludge with ff. seems speedy on opera. only weird thing is the bookmarks from firefox won't import. it's like firefox is hiding my bookmarks. it only lets me import the default ubuntu /mozilla linkies it comes with.

annying. luckily since this is my stopgap system i haven't used much, it's not that big a deal to redo the important ones by hand.

I'm beginning to appreciate the linux thing, more as i use it. but i will need a new desktop sooner than later. hopefully by March I will be able to afford it.
'There was some way of exporting the bookmarks in FF, and then opening the HTML file with Opera, and then dragging them to the right place, or was that IE? Can't remember, don't have it installed. You googled it, right?

Sahib

I use Opera because Firefox erased my bookmarks to time and IE used to be buggy bloated piece of shit (dunno if that changed recently)
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

DontSayBanana

Somebody needs to let me know how Opera's doing nowadays.  I've been push-and-pull between Firefox and Safari (FF's sped up incredibly for me since upping to 3.5.6).  Opera was great back when I first downloaded Opera 9, but then it got uber-slow all of a sudden.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2009, 01:42:03 PM

I hate Prius owners.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2009, 05:32:11 PM

I hate Prius owners.

If you were in the market for a hybrid, and liked the Prius, would you refuse to buy one just because of the owners?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2009, 06:14:57 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2009, 05:32:11 PM

I hate Prius owners.

If you were in the market for a hybrid, and liked the Prius, would you refuse to buy one just because of the owners?

I'd never buy a Prius hybrid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"Timmy Taint" would be the analogy that comes to mind.

Annoying people who are overly enthusiastic for a product (to the point of slavish devotion, being pushy about recommending it, etc.), just tend to ruin that product for me. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2009, 06:18:14 PM
I'd never buy a Prius hybrid.

This is why I have a mancrush on you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Opera is my pron browser, I use FF for every thing else.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2009, 08:18:32 PM

"Timmy Taint" would be the analogy that comes to mind.

Annoying people who are overly enthusiastic for a product (to the point of slavish devotion, being pushy about recommending it, etc.), just tend to ruin that product for me.

That says everything about you, and nothing about the product.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2009, 11:10:11 PM
That says everything about you, and nothing about the product.

Okay.