BBC.com asks users: 'Should homosexuals face execution?'

Started by jimmy olsen, December 16, 2009, 07:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Wow, however approved that poll has got to be flat out retarded.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/16/bbc-africa-have-your-say

BBC news website asks users: 'Should homosexuals face execution?'

Talkboard post seeks readers' views ahead of interactive World Service programme Africa Have Your Say

The BBC today asked users of its news website "Should homosexuals face execution?" on a talkboard discussion for a World Service programme for African listeners.

Posted on a BBC News premoderated talkboard, the thread was designed to provoke discussion ahead of the latest edition of interactive World Service programme Africa Have Your Say.

"Yes, we accept it is a stark and disturbing question, but this is the reality behind an anti-homosexuality bill being debated on Friday by the Ugandan parliament which would see some homosexual offences punishable by death," the post said.

The talkboard post asked users to send in their views to the programme, which goes out on the World Service and is also available online.

"Has Uganda gone too far? Should there be any level of legislation against homosexuality? Should homosexuals be protected by legislation as they are in South Africa? What would be the consequences of this bill to you? How will homosexual 'offences' be monitored?," the post added.

Premoderated posts included one from Chris, Guildford, posted at 8.59am, which attracted 51 recommendations of support. He wrote: "Totally agree. Ought to be imposed in the UK too, asap. Bring back some respectable family values. Why do we have to suffer 'gay pride' festivals? Would I be allowed to organise a 'straight pride' festival? No, thought as much!! If homosexuality is natural, as we are forced to believe, how can they sustain the species? I suggest all gays are put on a remote island somewhere and left for a generation - after which, theoretically there should be none left!"

Another, from Aaron in Freetown, said: "Bravo to the Ugandans for this wise decision, a bright step in eliminating this menace from your society. We hope other African nations will also follow your bold step."

The Africa Have Your Say programme aired at 4pm today. By 5.30pm, the headline of the discussion had been changed to "Should Uganda debate gay execution?".

Liliane Landor, the BBC World Service acting head of Africa region, defended the radio programme and talkboard post, saying it allowed gays and lesbians from Uganda, whose voices have never been heard in the UK, to talk with dignity about the impact the legislation would have on their lives.

The show also included the opinion of those who supported the anti-homosexual legislation, including religious leaders, she said. "The programme was a dignified exchange between people who have differing beliefs," Landor added.

Landor said that the World Service realised that the headline on the talkboard was blunt, but it was carefully put in context. "We wanted to frame the question starkly, in order to reflect the stark reality of the Ugandan bill," she added.

The BBC Pride board, composed of gay and lesbian staff at the corporation, lobbied the World Service to change the headline and close discussion "to minimise negative reflection on the BBC".

Eric Joyce, the Labour MP for Falkirk, labelled the post "more than offensive". "It's completely unacceptable. And it's mainly British people replying," he said on Twitter.

The talkboard post is understood to have been written by a female member of the BBC World Service Africa bureau.

The World Service, which broadcasts in 32 languages on TV, radio and the web, is part of BBC Global News, but funded by the Foreign Office.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I love BBC have your say. It is like EUOT, only stupider.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Why? It's a good question.

Or it could be, if not for the propensity for people not to take stuff like that seriously and just troll the poll.

Bear with me.

If any sizeable percentage of respondents answer "yes" then perhaps it might give someone reason to increase the effort to teach people not to hate fags.

But I can see where in this day and age of hyper sensitivity it might not be appropriate since it will offend someone.

Slargos

I have a question I like better though.

Why are you so afraid of people speaking their minds?

And since I know what the response will be, given that this is Languish: if what people have to say is stupid, surely there is no reason to fear it.

And since I know what the response will be, given that this is Languish: do you really think that you alone know what is best for everyone else?

And since I know what the response will be, given that this is Languish: Neil, please don't reply unless you have something other than your schtick to add.  :P

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Eddie Teach

I think Slargos is a Norwegian spy. Or Swedish if he's still in Norway. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 16, 2009, 08:12:46 PM
I think Slargos is a Norwegian spy. Or Swedish if he's still in Norway. :unsure:

:lol:

I'm back in Sweden.

But I will admit you've lost me. :unsure:

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sahib

The kids should give more points; they're the hardest to hit  :huh:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

DGuller

Don't you love those loaded questions that make you feel like a barbarian if you don't answer them in a certain way?

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2009, 08:22:34 PM
Don't you love those loaded questions that make you feel like a barbarian if you don't answer them in a certain way?

Actually, I do. I love answering in tone with my conscience, knowing that somewhere someone is expecting me to feel like a bad person in doing so, but being disappointed, even if they will never know it..

Sheilbh

This seems fair for the BBC World Service Africa section given that this is an important current debate in Africa.  Now I think if it was BBC America, or the BBC homepage that had it that would be rather weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2009, 10:12:01 PM
This seems fair for the BBC World Service Africa section given that this is an important current debate in Africa.

You're very fair to people who want to kill you