News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking for music recommendations

Started by Martinus, December 16, 2009, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok. So I'm looking for some new music that would appeal to my music tastes. I am very "patchy" when it comes to awareness of what is going out there at the moment, so assume that you can even recommend big hits/popular singers/bands to me, as well.

Styles: music going back 70s or 80s, glam rock, pop/popera, etc. Influences of Queen, ABBA, David Bowie, Elton John, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys. Anything outrageous and flamboyant.

Musicians/bands I enjoyed recently: Electric Six, Hercules and Love Affair, Levi Kreis, Rufus Wainwright, Scissor Sisters, Katy Perry, Alanis Morissette.

Right now thinking of maybe getting something by Mika.  :huh:

MadImmortalMan

Hmmm. I think I have nothing to suggest to you. Good luck though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

The Noisettes new stuff strikes me as a bit gay for some reason.
But overall....very ecclectic stuff there, not really much that comes to mind from adding all that.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

MGMT is indie, dance-oriented electronic with an occasional post-Berlin Bowie sound.  Very popular over here; over the last year you'd be hard pressed to find hipsters dancing without "Time to Pretend" or "Kids".
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2009, 02:44:56 PM
MGMT is indie, dance-oriented electronic with an occasional post-Berlin Bowie sound.  Very popular over here; over the last year you'd be hard pressed to find hipsters dancing without "Time to Pretend" or "Kids".

Hipsters need to die horribly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2009, 11:45:04 AM
Ok. So I'm looking for some new music that would appeal to my music tastes. I am very "patchy" when it comes to awareness of what is going out there at the moment, so assume that you can even recommend big hits/popular singers/bands to me, as well.

Styles: music going back 70s or 80s, glam rock, pop/popera, etc. Influences of Queen, ABBA, David Bowie, Elton John, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys. Anything outrageous and flamboyant.

Musicians/bands I enjoyed recently: Electric Six, Hercules and Love Affair, Levi Kreis, Rufus Wainwright, Scissor Sisters, Katy Perry, Alanis Morissette.

Right now thinking of maybe getting something by Mika.  :huh:

:barf:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

The Brain

The Brain

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2009, 02:45:58 PM

Martinus, Gay Polish Hipster>Martinus, hysterical Magneto of the gays.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

So far got Mika's "Life in Cartoon Motion". Anything similar would be appreciated.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2009, 03:34:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2009, 02:45:58 PM

Martinus, Gay Polish Hipster>Martinus, hysterical Magneto of the gays.

I was speaking generally. Marti isn't hip at anything.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And hands off Alanis when you bring the rest of that trash to the table. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.