News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I've done it.

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 01, 2009, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

And canceled my cable TV.  The rise of Hulu and Netflix has made it redundant to one such as I.  :(

And the 40/month price increase has done the rest.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

vinraith

I'm on the verge of doing this as well. Our local cable company is fucking terrible, they keep moving channels to higher tiers so you have to pay extra for channels you already had before. They've also lied to my face on more than one occasion. Satellite simply isn't an option IMO, so I contented myself to scale back my subscription to the lowest tolerable level (the $45/month basic package). With Netflix, Hulu, and the complete absence of anything new on TV these days worth watching, I think the "lowest tolerable level" is about to become no cable at all. I'm sure I can find other uses for the money.

I do need to check my digital TV reception first, though, just to make sure.

Valmy

Everytime I see another Bigfoot/UFO show on the History Channel I feel tempted to do this as well.  :grr:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Damn, I weep for you Americans.

Atleast you get Hulu tho.  :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

From time to time I daydream about canceling cable & just use hulu & netflix & whatnot.  Then I realize I'd lose most of my live sports evens in HD, and that's just not negotiable.

And as long as cable still sends me an analog signal (i.e., one that doesn't require a box), I won't consider satellite.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2009, 12:46:26 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 01, 2009, 12:44:38 PMAnd the 40/month price increase

:blink:

No lie. There there are the accidental disconnects that happen a few times a year because their cables aren't labeled properly.  When I call to report it I'm always told there is an outage causing it, sometimes they rattle off a town 40 or 50 miles away and say that that is the issue, so it would take a few days to get anybody out to re-attach a cable.  Their service is terrible. Their On_Demand sucks compared to other providers. And their prices are higher. 
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 01, 2009, 01:40:06 PM
No lie. There there are the accidental disconnects that happen a few times a year because their cables aren't labeled properly.  When I call to report it I'm always told there is an outage causing it, sometimes they rattle off a town 40 or 50 miles away and say that that is the issue, so it would take a few days to get anybody out to re-attach a cable.  Their service is terrible. Their On_Demand sucks compared to other providers. And their prices are higher. 

We're supposed to have more competition for cable/video services here in Ohio now that they passed a bill to make it easier for multiple providers in a given area, but none of it has reached my area yet. 

We're still stuck with Time Warner.  I filed an FCC complaint on them a couple months ago (which is surprisingly easy to do) because they were taking so long to give us TivoHD users our tuning adapters to let us get all the digital channels.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: vinraith on April 01, 2009, 01:03:19 PM
I'm on the verge of doing this as well. Our local cable company is fucking terrible, they keep moving channels to higher tiers so you have to pay extra for channels you already had before. They've also lied to my face on more than one occasion. Satellite simply isn't an option IMO, so I contented myself to scale back my subscription to the lowest tolerable level (the $45/month basic package). With Netflix, Hulu, and the complete absence of anything new on TV these days worth watching, I think the "lowest tolerable level" is about to become no cable at all. I'm sure I can find other uses for the money.

I do need to check my digital TV reception first, though, just to make sure.

Do you have Insight?  Princesca brought up the idea of cancelling our cable the other day, incidentally.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Vince

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2009, 01:47:11 PMWe're still stuck with Time Warner.

Same here.  I finally canceled service and those morons kept charging me after I was disconnected for an extra two months.

Phillip V

I stopped watching TV long ago. Connect your TV with your computer. Eventually, media will seamlessly move between computer and other mediums wirelessly.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on April 01, 2009, 04:39:16 PM
I stopped watching TV long ago. Connect your TV with your computer. Eventually, media will seamlessly move between computer and other mediums wirelessly.

We're almost there now. My TV, phone and internet service all come in via a fiber optic network. All the TVs are on the network just like the computers, and they all share the tivo. It's pretty cool, really.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

I haven't used cable since I moved and I honestly see no reason for it. The only shows I watch regularly are available on Hulu or the network's website.

We are witnessing the death of broadcast television, yet I am content. Interesting.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

vinraith

I still need to figure out a means by which to connect my laptop to the living room TV. Watching TV in the study just isn't as comfortable, but the laptop lacks a video out jack. Anyone know an easy solution to this one?

Iormlund

Quote from: Phillip V on April 01, 2009, 04:39:16 PM
I don't even have a  TV. I can't stand watching stuff dubbed.

The only thing I watch regularly is Formula 1, and I can easily go to someplace else to do it.