Latino Group Invokes The Bible To Counter Rev. Rivera's Boycott Campaign

Started by jimmy olsen, December 15, 2009, 08:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Brilliant response to this nutjob.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/15/census-latinos-boycott/
QuoteLatino Group Invokes The Bible To Counter A Pastor's Census Boycott Campaign, Encourage Participation

Earlier this year, the Rev. Miguel Rivera, chairman of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders, began encouraging a full-out boycott of the U.S. Census on behalf of the Latino and immigrant community in protest of the failure to enact immigration reform. Rivera's efforts have been widely perceived as damaging to the Latino and immigrant community he claims to be empowering. In response, the National Association of Latino Elected Officials (NALEO) has started using the Bible to target religious Latinos with a different message: What would Jesus do?

NALEO is handing out posters that illustrate the arrival of Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem. NALEO explains that the Gospel of Luke indicates that the reason Jesus was born in Bethlehem is because Joseph and Mary were fulfilling their civic duty by returning to the town to be counted by the Roman census. A poster printed by NALEO reads: "This is how Jesus was born, Joseph and Mary participated in the Census." Nick Kimball, spokesman at the Commerce Department (which oversees the Census Bureau), said that the government played no role in creating the posters.

However, Rivera calls NALEO's new campaign a "blasphemous" "assault against our Christian faith" and accuses the group of violating "the concept of separation of church and state." Rivera, who has been using his position as an influential religious leader to promote his boycott, seems to be missing the irony. A lot of Rivera's own critics have quietly accused him of staging a personal publicity stunt at the expense of his own community. Publicly, they have described him as a "misguided figure who could cause the loss of billions of federal dollars to Latino neighborhoods that need it most." Even Latino pastors have affirmed that "a man of the cloth should not be pushing Latinos to do something that will ultimately hurt their community."

Whether the poster is in poor taste or not, NALEO is responding to Rivera on his own turf by making an explicit religious appeal. The Pew Hispanic Research Center estimates that one in every six Latinos belongs to an evangelical church. Undocumented immigrants are among the least likely to participate in the Census and the Drum Major Institute warns that their non-participation could lead to inaccurate demographic information and result in costly mistakes in infrastructure, education, health care planning, and representation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Both sides can take a flying leap.  If they don't want to be counted, don't bother counting them.  Btw, isn't it odd that "immigration reform" in this country usually refers to rolling out the red carpet & giving citizenship to illegals & their families?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Not all of them are willing to marry some poor schlub from West Virginia to gain their citizenship!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on December 15, 2009, 09:25:08 PM
Not all of them are willing to marry some poor schlub from West Virginia to gain their citizenship!
It's ok, as punishment for letting in an argie into the US derspiess's desendents shall forever carry the shame of being hispanic. Fates a bitch (and not just the poster either :P )

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on December 15, 2009, 09:25:08 PM

:mad:

It's every native-born American's right to marry a hot foreigner who wants a green card.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on December 15, 2009, 09:11:55 PM
Both sides can take a flying leap.  If they don't want to be counted, don't bother counting them.  Btw, isn't it odd that "immigration reform" in this country usually refers to rolling out the red carpet & giving citizenship to illegals & their families?

Reagan set the precedent.  :rolleyes:

Don't get pissy because they didn't drink the GOP koolaid.

Jaron

What exactly would you like immigration reform to look like? Cement walls and armed patrols?

I don't necessarily disagree with your idea that reform equals rolling out the welcome wagon, and I certainly hold no sympathies for Mexican immigrants, but your views are a bit too harsh for my tastes. Surely there is room for compromise?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on December 16, 2009, 01:09:23 AM
What exactly would you like immigration reform to look like? Cement walls and armed patrols?

I don't necessarily disagree with your idea that reform equals rolling out the welcome wagon, and I certainly hold no sympathies for Mexican immigrants, but your views are a bit too harsh for my tastes. Surely there is room for compromise?

Why are you so self loathing? :weep:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Should they be encouraging marital infidelity among Latinos like that?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2009, 01:32:45 AM
Should they be encouraging marital infidelity among Latinos like that?
I knew as soon as I saw you posted here it would be a classless attack on Christianity instead of one addressing the political issue at hand. Thanks for not disappointing me. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Hey, I didn't invent your religion and made a slut and her husband (who was either extremely gullible or had a cuckold fetish) parents of your god.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Once again, a completely predictable response. Seriously Marty, a 14 year old girl could make you dance like a puppet. Lame. :thumbsdown:

1 Karma Chameleon point