News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yes, but it's still in Arkansas.  I realize the Ozarks get some snow annually but is it common to have more than a dusting there? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2015, 09:58:48 AM
Yes, but it's still in Arkansas.  I realize the Ozarks get some snow annually but is it common to have more than a dusting there? :hmm:

North Texas and Oklahoma get pounding by freezing temperatures and huge amounts of snow every year so I would expect it is not uncommon.  Stay away from that part of the country man, brutally hot summers and freezing windy winters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

We can blame all this cold weather on the northern pacific ocean pusing hot weather up the coast of BC/Alaska which is pushing artic air  south on the eastern side of the continent.

Apparently.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2015, 06:58:51 PM
Dude I have over a foot of snow outside... do you know how rare that is here?  Most years, we don't get a foot of snow the entire winter.  Hell, this is the first real snowfall we've had all winter this year.

I just spent A LOT of time shoveling. :mad:

Ouch, that has to hurt. But what are you guys doing with all our New England snow?!   :mad:   Give it back!   ;)

Caliga

Would if I could. :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2015, 10:04:09 AM
We can blame all this cold weather on the northern pacific ocean pusing hot weather up the coast of BC/Alaska which is pushing artic air  south on the eastern side of the continent.

Apparently.

Yeah, it's been stupidly warm here this winter.

You eastern bastards are stealing all our cold!!!111
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I'm still waiting for our government to start construction on that 100,000 foot tall, 10 mile-thick wall I suggested they build along the Canadian border.

OBAMA :mad:

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2015, 11:34:36 AM

Apparently.

That's probably good that you aren't dealing with lots of snow but that has to be a problem for the wildlife? Bears come out of hibernation early affecting their cubs. More insects may survive to breed during the warm months, and a lot less water from snow melt run-off to fill up reservoirs.

I think here with so much snow cover we'll see declines in some wildlife like rabbits and deer, and with birds that don't migrate south in winter. 

Caliga

Yeah that was the one good thing about our insanely cold winter last year... WAY fewer bugs last summer.  DIE INSECTS DIE  :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on February 17, 2015, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2015, 11:34:36 AM

Apparently.

That's probably good that you aren't dealing with lots of snow but that has to be a problem for the wildlife? Bears come out of hibernation early affecting their cubs. More insects may survive to breed during the warm months, and a lot less water from snow melt run-off to fill up reservoirs.

I think here with so much snow cover we'll see declines in some wildlife like rabbits and deer, and with birds that don't migrate south in winter.

Yeah, I was only partially joking.

OUr winter has had several warm streaks with temperatures well above freezing.  You normally just don't see that kind of weather in central Alberta - things are frozen pretty solid for about three months.  Temps then return to -10 to -20, but then it warms up again.  We've had the snow, but not sure that it's sticking around as accumulations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on February 17, 2015, 05:20:47 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 03:06:38 PM
We still have grass sticking out above the snow.  Very unusual for here.
yep we are on pace for least snowfall for winter ever.

And after this week, it will almost seem like winter is already over.

I bet we get a 4-foot dump sometime in mid/late April.  :P

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2015, 01:39:24 PM

Yeah, I was only partially joking.

OUr winter has had several warm streaks with temperatures well above freezing.  You normally just don't see that kind of weather in central Alberta - things are frozen pretty solid for about three months.  Temps then return to -10 to -20, but then it warms up again.  We've had the snow, but not sure that it's sticking around as accumulations.
:huh: Don't you get chinooks anymore?

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2015, 11:41:04 AM
Yeah that was the one good thing about our insanely cold winter last year... WAY fewer bugs last summer.  DIE INSECTS DIE  :mad:

Die Insekten.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Got two inches of superfluffy light now today.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Snowfall came very early in Germany this year.