News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wireless mouse

Started by Monoriu, December 13, 2009, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

For some reason, my wife loves them.  I don't understand what's wrong with the wire, but that's life. 

Problem is, they don't work well with our desktop.  We've bought a few different mice, but the connection is always choppy.  No where near as smooth and reliable as the old wired mouse.  That's not a huge problem for my wife, but there is no way I can accept that kind of performance for games where precision is literally a matter of life and death. 

The wireless mice seem to work much better with laptops, though. 

Is this normal?

KRonn

I never got a wireless mouse to work with my home desktop. Then having to replace batteries, well, I don't need to be doing that with my computer mouse, keyboard, what ever. I guess many people like wireless but I don't really have much regard for wireless.

Lucidor

I run a wireless setup with my desktop. I let the dongle sit on top of the desk, and get good reception. It's good when you sit a bit away from the computer, to have the mouse and use it to control playback of video.

Caliga

Placement of the receiver thingy is critical.  I had some issues with my wireless mouse (I have a wireless mouse/keyboard combo) until I moved the dongle a little closer and cleaned it off (there were a bunch of papers and crap sitting on top of it).  Now it performs flawlessly.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BVN

Never had any issues with my wireless keyboard and mouse, but having to change batteries so often is a pain in the ass!

Caliga

I haven't had to change my batteries on either keyboard or mouse since August when I got them. :huh:  Once the original alkaline batteries they came with die, I'm going to replace them with rechargeables.  In fact I've got the rechargeables sitting on a shelf right above my monitor.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

I love using my Bluetooth mouse with my laptop. It's more convenient than the trackpad, and it keeps my 2 USB ports free.

As for why it doesn't work with desktops - maybe your bluetooth card (or whatever) is screwy?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

I have a Linksys set.  No issues. I sit at my couch and it has a range of 5 or 6 feet assuming the cat doesn't decide to play with the dongle.  Batteries seem to last for a few months at a atime.
PDH!

BVN

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 08:12:13 AM
I haven't had to change my batteries on either keyboard or mouse since August when I got them. :huh:  Once the original alkaline batteries they came with die, I'm going to replace them with rechargeables.  In fact I've got the rechargeables sitting on a shelf right above my monitor.
I also use rechergeables, but i always forget to recharge them so when the batteries in my mouse suddenly die, I'm screwed...  :blush:

Iormlund

Mono, there are some wireless mice designed for gamers. Other than that, you two could simply use different mice.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Iormlund on December 15, 2009, 08:28:34 AM
Mono, there are some wireless mice designed for gamers. Other than that, you two could simply use different mice.

But that would involve... spending more than the bare minimum. :o
Experience bij!

Sahib

Quote from: Monoriu on December 13, 2009, 09:14:03 PM
For some reason, my wife loves them.  I don't understand what's wrong with the wire, but that's life. 

Problem is, they don't work well with our desktop.  We've bought a few different mice, but the connection is always choppy.  No where near as smooth and reliable as the old wired mouse.  That's not a huge problem for my wife, but there is no way I can accept that kind of performance for games where precision is literally a matter of life and death. 

The wireless mice seem to work much better with laptops, though. 

Is this normal?

Can't you buy a second, wired mouse?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Alexandru H.

Can't live without my wireless mouse when I use the laptop.

For the desktop... I really don't care