News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

rundll32.exe

Started by Viking, December 13, 2009, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Now I already know what this program does, it runs dll files of various kinds. I also know it is used by trojans when not run from the correct folder c:\windows\system32\. Now my problem is that it is sucking up 2/3 of my ram (from time to time). So I want to hear from you guys what the problem might be and suggest possible solutions for me to investigate.

Troubleshooting done
virus check
spyware check
reinstall back to factory settings

usually factory settings solves everything. I worry this might be part of some windows update, or it might be a problem I keep picking up when I install the normal software I usually install after reinstalling to factory settings. I'd like to hear some suggestions. At present I'm tending towards getting more ram (I only have 2 gigs).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

nothing? you useless idiots.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

What OS are you running?

At any rate, I'll give my standard advice-- back up your files to another disk & do a clean install of the OS.  Adding more RAM shouldn't hurt, but I would only bother adding 1GB if you're running 32-bit Windows.

I noticed on my main (ancient) PC running Win7 that something is hogging between 65% and 90% of my memory at any given time.  I added up all the memory reported as being used various processes, and it doesn't add up to what is actually being used.  Using Vista, I didn't see nearly that much memory usage, and since Win7 is actually supposed to use less memory than Vista, I'm chalking the memory leak up to the fact that I did an upgrade install of Win7 rather than a clean install. 

A fresh Win7 install is on my to-do list for this weekend or next.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Vista, and I've already returned to factory settings twice.

Cerr

That's a strange one. Try turning off hard drive indexing.

Viking

Quote from: Cerr on December 15, 2009, 06:20:11 PM
That's a strange one. Try turning off hard drive indexing.
good suggestion.. will try

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on December 15, 2009, 05:37:12 PM

That could be part of the problem.  If you have (or can get) a Vista install disc, try installing that way.  Depending on the manufacturer, they might have loaded the "factory" configuration with a ton of crapware that is crippling your system.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on December 15, 2009, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 15, 2009, 05:37:12 PM

That could be part of the problem.  If you have (or can get) a Vista install disc, try installing that way.  Depending on the manufacturer, they might have loaded the "factory" configuration with a ton of crapware that is crippling your system.

Dell don't have that much crapware. But it seems that the Hard Drive Indexing seems to be the sources of the rundll32.exe use of memory.

starbright

I had a similar issue. It was caused by Kaspersky Internet Security. I don't remember what the fix was.

Martinus

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: starbright on December 27, 2009, 02:35:31 PM
I had a similar issue. It was caused by Kaspersky Internet Security. I don't remember what the fix was.

My virus checker has caused similar issues (but not with the rundll32.exe) I specifically turn it off (along with my mutorrent and other stuff) and then restart when I'm finished so the indexing, defragging, down/uploading and virus checking is done when I am asleep or away.