News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

700,000 + jobs lost in March

Started by Weatherman, April 01, 2009, 08:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteNEW YORK (Reuters) - Job losses in the U.S. private sector accelerated in March, more than economists' expectations, according to a report by ADP Employer Services on Wednesday.

Private employers cut jobs by a record 742,000 in March versus a 706,000 revised cut in February that was originally reported at 697,000 jobs, said ADP, which has been carrying out the survey since 2001.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5303F820090401

Ouch.  :(

Valmy

I assume most of those were in the retail sector.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Not good.  I had hoped we were close to troughing.

I blame Bush of course.

Berkut

Of course, its not like Obama promised that his spendulus plan would "create or save" 4 billion jobs or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Caliga

I saw a pretty funny YouTube video that had a guy dressed up like Hitler making the "'Jews' sounds like 'juice' joke".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2009, 09:05:29 AM
Not good.  I had hoped we were close to troughing.

Nowhere near the trough yet, nowhere near.......

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2009, 08:59:38 AM
I hope they find them soon.

No need.  Obama will create them out of thin air.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Weatherman

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2009, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2009, 08:59:38 AM
I hope they find them soon.

No need.  Obama will create them out of thin air.

Consider a career in the exciting field of hole digging. Dig a hole, fill it back up, and profit!

DGuller

Can we put GOPtards in the holes before filling them back up?  This will turn mere makework into a highly productive enterprise.

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2009, 11:30:02 AM
Can we put GOPtards in the holes before filling them back up?  This will turn mere makework into a highly productive enterprise.

Sure, just tell them that there's candy at the bottom of the hole.  Republicans love candy.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jos Theelen

The ADP-report is not so reliable. Wait until friday, when the NFP-report appears, that will move the market.

MadImmortalMan

Not much, and if so it will only be short-term. The market tries to predict the future. Unemployment numbers predict the past.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers