Computer security - time for upgrade

Started by KRonn, December 10, 2009, 12:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security 7, due to have full support ended next January. Been running that for two years. Now looking to update to a new program. I kind of narrowed down choices to two Internet Security programs.

I was thinking of KIS 2010 but Kaspersky is resolving some issues with it. Gets good reviews but not best. I'm more wary since reviews say it has more impact on system resources, doesn't clean up viruses/spyware as well. The sys impact may get resolved but I need to upgrade soon, so I was even thinking of going with KIS 2009 in the meantime, for the next year.

Norton IS 2010 gets top reviews in the several places I checked. Seems to be among the best, and not the system hog it once was. It's been heavily remade beginning with last year or so, and now gets  good praise for low use of system resources. Biggest thing is it gets top marks for security.

Either KIS or NIS would be good, and each has its issues. I'm leaning heavily to Norton now. Many programs out there and I want a security suite that covers all, as I think that helps it all work together and be more efficient.

So curious to see if others use these, or what they use, and get some feedback and ideas?

Grey Fox

I usually use Common sense & nothing.

but right now I used complete disconnection from the internet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

I've never
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2009, 01:05:55 PM
I usually use Common sense & nothing.

A lot easier to do when you're the only user.  With my wife & the occasional family member using my PCs, I'm not comfortable running without something.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever spent a dime on any security software.  I hopped on the AVG bandwagon as soon as I heard about it, and then switched to Avast.  Apart from that, I just use the included Windows security features.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I think I've shilled for Microsoft Security Essentials before.  A simple and effective anti-virus (and fairly new, only came out a few months ago).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

I've been using AVG for years. Very smooth, very easy to install, license, and re-install. There are a variety of license options including a 3-computer package and an optional firewall that I've had no problems with.

I'm now using a version of McAfee supplied by the university simply because it's free, but not happy with it. Seems like a memory hog and one of the processes keeps crashing which makes me nervous. Think I'll be going back to AVG.

Caliga

I haven't used antivirus stuff in many years, but I used to use F-PROT.  I don't know if it's still free or even being updated though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

How do you guys not use anti-virus and have no problems? I must admit that I don't seem to often, or ever, get virus alerts but still it seems very dangerous to not use some security software.

I hadn't thought of going with Microsoft's new anti-virus. I'm going to check that out too, see how well it's rated/reviewed.

viper37

I use ESET Smart Security, and I think it's a good software.  Good AV, nice firewall.

I prefered the interface of Zone Alarm Pro, but that software had too many bugs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.