News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Did Obama Snub the Nobel Prize Committee?

Started by Faeelin, December 10, 2009, 09:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2009, 11:57:30 PM
at least one of Yi's Democrat cheerleaders haven't wrapped themselves into a pretzel but have also said they're not keen on it.
Which one is that?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2009, 12:03:32 AM
Frank Rich.
I'm pretty sure Frank Rich has not written about the Nobel speech Shelf.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on December 13, 2009, 10:18:50 PM
The op-ed was so good you had to copy the intro timmay?
Sorry, don't know how that happened. Fixed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 12:04:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2009, 12:03:32 AM
Frank Rich.
I'm pretty sure Frank Rich has not written about the Nobel speech Shelf.
No, you're right.  He opposes the new Afghan policy :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on December 11, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
I see Will Smith was in the audience, obviously studying Obama for when he inevitably plays him.

Jon Stuart already made that joke on the Daily Show. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2009, 11:47:26 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the reaction from the peacenik left to what was essentially a neocon speech by Obama.
It wasn't neoconish.

Indeed. Not every vision of international affairs that does not involve absolute pacifism is neoconish.  :lol:

Martinus

QuoteThe current foreign policy of the United States is an exercise in contraction. It begins with the demolition of the moral foundation of American dominance. In Strasbourg, President Obama was asked about American exceptionalism. His answer? "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism." Interesting response. Because if everyone is exceptional, no one is.

I started reading the piece Tim posted but stopped on this line. If the guy is capable of drumming up so much bullshit by the second paragraph of his piece, then it must be a bovine shitstorm of apocalyptic proportions by the end.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 02:42:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2009, 11:47:26 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the reaction from the peacenik left to what was essentially a neocon speech by Obama.
It wasn't neoconish.

Indeed. Not every vision of international affairs that does not involve absolute pacifism is neoconish.  :lol:

But the lineage is there. The neocons were hawkish liberals of the Truman and Kennedy mold who were disaffected with the dovish Democrat party. Obama is merely reflecting that branch of liberal thinking.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 02:46:00 AM
QuoteThe current foreign policy of the United States is an exercise in contraction. It begins with the demolition of the moral foundation of American dominance. In Strasbourg, President Obama was asked about American exceptionalism. His answer? "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism." Interesting response. Because if everyone is exceptional, no one is.

I started reading the piece Tim posted but stopped on this line. If the guy is capable of drumming up so much bullshit by the second paragraph of his piece, then it must be a bovine shitstorm of apocalyptic proportions by the end.

Learn to fucking read. That was a quote from someone the author disagreed with.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: citizen k on December 14, 2009, 02:49:21 AM
But the lineage is there. The neocons were hawkish liberals of the Truman and Kennedy mold who were disaffected with the dovish Democrat party. Obama is merely reflecting that branch of liberal thinking.
They weren't hawkish liberals.  They were originally Trotskyists who became dissatisfied with the self-indulgence of the left in the 1960s.  They were a new form of conservative that wasn't entirely opposed to the state.  That's why, within, foreign policy they're supremely statist.  They believe that the US government through military and non-military means can change the government of a nation and by doing that alone transform the society (whereas I think old school conservatives would argue government comes from society).
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 10:59:41 AM
European Monarchs don't have power but they are Heads of State.  So it's a way of paying respect to the nation.

If Norway decides its head of state is a rock, are you going to think Obama should have lunch with the rock?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Sheilbh,  I am enjoying your take on this, though I don't have time to formulate much in the way of response.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on December 14, 2009, 06:54:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 10:59:41 AM
European Monarchs don't have power but they are Heads of State.  So it's a way of paying respect to the nation.

If Norway decides its head of state is a rock, are you going to think Obama should have lunch with the rock?

The queen of Poland was for a time a painting.  It would make a boring lunch I suppose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017