News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harddisk died

Started by syk, December 09, 2009, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

<_< So I want to boot up my system and get some metallic klicking sound instead of the usual. Computer asks me to insert some booting device and hit a key. Of course that doesn't work.
I fear the worst, my harddisk is dead.  :cry:
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance of recovering the stuff on there by reanimating and mirroring the HD?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

syk

viper37

Quote from: syk on December 09, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
<_< So I want to boot up my system and get some metallic klicking sound instead of the usual. Computer asks me to insert some booting device and hit a key. Of course that doesn't work.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance of recovering the stuff on there by reanimating and mirroring the HD?
If it's really dead, Grey Fox is right, no cheap way.

But you could try buying a new HDD, installing Windows, and then plugging your new hard drive and try to see if Windows can at least see it, and try some free/trial tools of hard disk recovery on the 'net to see if it would work before abandonning all hople.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

syk

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2009, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: syk on December 09, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
If it's really dead, Grey Fox is right, no cheap way.

But you could try buying a new HDD, installing Windows, and then plugging your new hard drive and try to see if Windows can at least see it, and try some free/trial tools of hard disk recovery on the 'net to see if it would work before abandonning all hople.

Thanks, I will take the puter to my local hardware dealer tomorrow and see if he can do that for me. have to buy a new HD there anyways.  A neighbour reported that guy (the shop owner's name of course is Hardy) once was able to briefly return one of his harddisks to life so that it could be mirrored. Boy does it suck when the PC doesn't work. I am: addicted.  <_<

DGuller

I'd try to load the system with the Ubuntu start-up CD, it's possible that Ubuntu might see something salvagable.  However, if you hear noises, your odds are not good.

derspiess

My (upstairs) Series 2 Tivo's hard drive is starting to sound like a food disposal with a fork stuck in it.  I have a backup image of the drive from eons ago; hopefully I can clone it again & save everything, without having to start from zero. 

Hopefully I can find an IDE drive of the same capacity in my closet :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

syk

PC is now at ye olde hardware shoppe. He said something about his necromantic powers and certain reanimation rites involving ice.
Let us hope and pray.  :pope:

Darth Wagtaros

Good luck.  He'll probably try to image it or attach it to another computer.

true data recover runs thousands of dollars. Had to set it up for a laptop drive here at work. 
PDH!

syk

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 10, 2009, 09:07:16 AM
Good luck.  He'll probably try to image it or attach it to another computer.

true data recover runs thousands of dollars. Had to set it up for a laptop drive here at work.
Thank you. Yeah, he also said something about real recovery. I don't think I will do that in case all hope is lost. Sucks to lose a ton of photos and a shitload of music. Sucks as much to possibly have to set up all the software again. But otoh I get a clean system. 
...bring back, bring back, oh bring back my harddisk to me, to me....

derspiess

Always. Back. Up. Your. Files.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

syk

Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2009, 10:52:35 AM
Always. Back. Up. Your. Files.
Yep. I think I needed to learn that the hard way. HD is most certainly dead and only recoverable by professional means. Setting up a fresh system right now.  :weep:

derspiess

Quote from: syk on December 10, 2009, 01:10:14 PM
Yep. I think I needed to learn that the hard way. HD is most certainly dead and only recoverable by professional means. Setting up a fresh system right now.  :weep:

Yeah, I never took it seriously myself until I got burned.  Thankfully it was long ago when my music, docs, & photos weren't too numerous

syk

How do you guys back your files up?  Extra HD?