News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arcanum: I can't remember if it's worth 5 yuros

Started by Pedrito, December 09, 2009, 03:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I bought the game when it was published, and played it a lot, but I rememeber the vanilla game had lots of unresolved issues and ultimately I never finished it.
Now I've found it in a €5 bin in a shop round here, and was considering buying it to play on my less than performing laptop: is there anything I need to know - recent patches, user created content, anything that can enhance the game?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

Any game that isn't completely fucked up is worth its price at €5 IMO.

I never finished it either, but if I picked it up today I would probably get some sort of trainer and max out everything just to explore the story and whatever stuff I couldn't do last time around due to character limitations.

Galrion

Absolutely.  There is a great patch by Drog Blacktooth over on the terra arcanum forums.  http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14895  Fixes most if not all of the bugs.  Couple other downloads that add some content that wasn't enabled initially as well.  Combat system isn't good, but the characters are interesting and the story is great.  Also has a no CD patch, for when you constantly lose your play disk <_<.

LaCroix

i liked the secret gnome conspiracy subplot

and how the gnomes were basically the jews of arcanum :D

Razgovory

Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 09:28:42 PM
i liked the secret gnome conspiracy subplot

and how the gnomes were basically the jews of arcanum :D

Problem is like so many of the ideas, it doesn't really go anywhere.  The game feels unrealized.

LaCroix

which part? the former isn't supposed to go anywhere. it's a realization that the jews gnomes will always be in control and there's no stopping their insidious goals. the latter just provides atmosphere to the game. i think the game excels there. between orcs being used as factory slaves, magic interfering with technology, and even a bill gates-like character who built his success on the theft of ideas from another race, i think the game solidly creates a unique fantasy world that parallels our own in a number of ways.

it's lord of the rings in the victorian age, what more could you want? :bowler:

Razgovory

Quote from: Lacroix on December 10, 2009, 09:22:00 AM
which part? the former isn't supposed to go anywhere. it's a realization that the jews gnomes will always be in control and there's no stopping their insidious goals. the latter just provides atmosphere to the game. i think the game excels there. between orcs being used as factory slaves, magic interfering with technology, and even a bill gates-like character who built his success on the theft of ideas from another race, i think the game solidly creates a unique fantasy world that parallels our own in a number of ways.

it's lord of the rings in the victorian age, what more could you want? :bowler:

I'd like a game that is balanced in play with a decent AI and some interesting challenges.

LaCroix

Valmy

The problem with Arcanum is despite what should be a fascinating setting and concept magic is simply better than technology so you sorta end up with swords and spells, and despite a great backstory fighting generic enemies by the bucket load.  I mean there is a ton of fighting in that game, which is odd since it uses a system similar to fallout which was designed to enable you to build a character that can win without killing anybody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I played Arcanum quite a bit but never did beat it.  I remember liking it, but I think I got some other game that distracted me and then I never went back to it.

I don't think I could take it up again today, simply because the graphics are so bad by modern standards they would actually hurt my eyes. :(  I tried to go back to Fallout 2 once and couldn't for this reason. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 11:04:46 AM
I played Arcanum quite a bit but never did beat it.  I remember liking it, but I think I got some other game that distracted me and then I never went back to it.

Pity the surprise ending was one of the best parts.  Totally blew me away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."